Volunteer Agency Rules/SOP

shootrr

Forum Ride Along
I have a few concerns about the volunteer agency I work for.

Do any of your volunteer agencies have you check the truck when you shifts begins or even sometime during our shift?

Does you agency require you to be in any type of uniform?

Are you required to wear boots?

I have several discussions with our director and they do not seems to concerned with the questions above, just looking for a little input from other volunteer agencies.
They feel since we are paid per call that they cannot require us to purchase our uniforms due to the low income that some of us make from being on call.
thank you for your input.

ABEMS

Forum Crew Member
Checking the unit/stock should be one of the first things that should be done at the start of the shift.

As for the uniform, it will depend on the employer. You should still try to look professional even though they dont provide you with uniforms.

I wear steel toe boots for safety reasons and its required by my employer. looks more professional than wearing running shoes.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Do any of your volunteer agencies have you check the truck when you shifts begins or even sometime during our shift?
yes.
yes.
yes.
I have several discussions with our director and they do not seems to concerned with the questions above, just looking for a little input from other volunteer agencies.

They feel since we are paid per call that they cannot require us to purchase our uniforms due to the low income that some of us make from being on call.
just because you are a volunteer, doesn't mean you don't have rules that are supposed to be followed. Volunteer leadership often forgets this concept, and goes by the thinking "well, they are only volunteers, we can't forced them to do anything."

Also, uniforms are tax deducible, as is anything that has your agency logo on it.

As a side note, I think your AGENCY should provide you with your uniform, and mandate that you wear it. you join the agency, here is your uniform, it is expected to be work on all calls. boots you are on your own for, because you can wear them while off duty.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
All things based on your service design, vehicle layout, call volume and type, shift type and lengths, member involvement, oversight of state OEMS, and more...

If you run low volume calls, and your members are very familiar with truck layout, and often aren't based at the station... then you may be able to seal cabinets, mark o2 tank levels (and enforce immediate restocking), you could get by with weekly rig checks and sealing compartments...

Your metric for all decisions should first be what is in your patient's best interest, then your members, then the city/town... how would patients fare if your truck was missing critical equipment or supply?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
We don't run shifts we respond to the station on a per call basis.

We seal cabinets with plastic serial numbered seals. If you spill it you fill it.

We require different attire that is generally left up to common sense per situation. If the chief feels you aren't dressed appropriately he will surely let you know.

An actual uniform is not required nor practical since we respond from home in our street clothes. We all have lockers with issued impermeable turnout pants/jackets/boots.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

We don't run shifts we respond to the station on a per call basis.
so it's a scramble 100% of the time? whomever shows up, shows up, and it's always a request for all personnel to respond, regardless of date or time, or nature of emergency?
We seal cabinets with plastic serial numbered seals. If you spill it you fill it.
so in theory, the cabinet has been checked to ensure it has all the appropriate equipment. great concept, i wish more people did the same.
We require different attire that is generally left up to common sense per situation. If the chief feels you aren't dressed appropriately he will surely let you know.
common sense isn't that common... if it were up to some people, they would respond in flip flops, short shorts, and a baby T shirt. or a bikini and flip flops. or khakis, leather jacket, and dress shoes. or sneakers, shorts, and a T-shirt. like I said, common sense isn't common.
An actual uniform is not required nor practical since we respond from home in our street clothes. We all have lockers with issued impermeable turnout pants/jackets/boots.
with all due respect, but if you have lockers with turnout gear in the, than it isn't all that hard to issue people a polo shirt that gets hung up and worn on calls. or a Dept issued T-shirt. it's not impractical, you just haven't told people to do it.

or you can issue jump suits or coveralls, so people can respond in street clothes, and get dressed alike and jump into the ambulance.

not that i think it looks good, but it can be done, even if it's as simple as a polo shirt and long pants to be worn by everyone on an ambulance. if you want to do it, and it looks more professional and tends to result in higher donations, it can be done.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
so it's a scramble 100% of the time? whomever shows up, shows up, and it's always a request for all personnel to respond, regardless of date or time, or nature of emergency?

Yep, basically. Thankfully we have 140 members and 4 ambulances so we do alright most of the time on responses. We are fortunate enough to be a "wealthy" department and have a paid paramedic flycar mon-friday 6am-6pm as a failsafe.

so in theory, the cabinet has been checked to ensure it has all the appropriate equipment. great concept, i wish more people did the same.common sense isn't that common...

Great concept yes. But people tend to not replace the tags too often. Our paid guy inspects the ambulance on a daily basis to resolve that.

if it were up to some people, they would respond in flip flops, short shorts, and a baby T shirt. or a bikini and flip flops. or khakis, leather jacket, and dress shoes. or sneakers, shorts, and a T-shirt. like I said, common sense isn't common.

People have done it. The chief has told them to leave the scene. They disobeyed direct orders. Said persons are now upwards of $10,000 in legal fees in a pointless attempt to regain their membership with the department. (theres a bit more to the story)

with all due respect, but if you have lockers with turnout gear in the, than it isn't all that hard to issue people a polo shirt that gets hung up and worn on calls. or a Dept issued T-shirt. it's not impractical, you just haven't told people to do it.

or you can issue jump suits or coveralls, so people can respond in street clothes, and get dressed alike and jump into the ambulance.

not that i think it looks good, but it can be done, even if it's as simple as a polo shirt and long pants to be worn by everyone on an ambulance. if you want to do it, and it looks more professional and tends to result in higher donations, it can be done.

We thought about it. But honestly our EMS gear is pretty sufficient. It goes on quick and gets the job done. Its very uncomfortable when doing invasive procedures though I usually take the jacket off at that point. But people understand when thats the case. Too clarfiy a bit, these are what we wear. (Yea, its not comfy in the hot months)
TriLam.png

VS401P_Front451.jpg

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
If you're a "wealthy" department then why not just hire a full time staff?

Trust me there are people who want that. I don't mean to come off as a prick by saying that. It just seems there is no end to our needless spending.

Nassau County Long Island has 71 volunteer fire departments all with their own specialized units and plenty of relatively new fire trucks and countless chiefs vehicles. A unified paid system would be more cost effective to a degree. You just don't get the same sense of community and all that good stuff.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd much rather have the consistent response times and better patient care that comes with having full time crews.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd much rather have the consistent response times and better patient care that comes with having full time crews.

Changing a system that has been in place for 100 years and in incorporates many thousands of members isn't quite so easy.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Why do EMS need turnouts? Not like your running into a burning building.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Why do EMS need turnouts? Not like your running into a burning building.

It's not structural firefighting rated. It has a flash fire rating but it means nothing.

It's just a canvas shell that is impermeable to body substances.

I have actual tech pants i wear if I intend to spend the day around the station or taking the flycar. I'm a firefighter where I volly as well so I usually put my fire gear in the trunk of the car over my EMS stuff. The flycar has an SCBA in it.

I work for FDNY as well and I have a higher rated set of turnout gear we have to wear at MCIs.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

Yes, Yes, yes

trucks are checked every shift

Uniforms are issued by the department and are property of such

Boots are the responsibility of the individual

Coveralls are issued as well, some members prefer them at night

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes, yes (at the beginning of shift, and we are expected to restock after every call as necessary), yes (class B shirt and blue pants), and no (but highly encouraged).

Boots should be required, or at the very least, closed toe shoes (all people should wear the same color shoes, though, whatever the color is).

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
That is not a valid reason to keep the current system...

Soon as you come up with a way to change the mind of 15,000 people who have had no complaints with their service you let me know.

When they call an ambulance the service is free as well.

A paid fire department will charge them $1300.

DrParasite

That is not a valid reason to keep the current system...
actually, it is.

If the AHJ has no problem with the level of service, than there isn't a problem.

remember, you get what you pay for, and if the town wants a volunteer system, and accepts the drawbacks (such as no answering all calls in a timely manner), than that fine. You don't like it, than don't live in their area.

only if the town wants changes and the agency is fighting the change does an issue occur. Until the town/AHJ wants a change, there really is no reason to change the current system.