Vision requirement to drive an ambulance?

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
I was getting a physical on Sunday so I could start doing my clinicals for Emt-B class. The Doc asked me if there was a vision requirement outside of a standard drivers liscense to drive an Ambulance.

That got me wondering is there a special vision requirement for driving an ambulance? or doese it vary from state to state? Doc pointed out my vision would prevent me from getting a CDL.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Without a location (state), we really cannot tell you if there is a vision requirement. Generally, however, if your vision is decent with correction, there isn't a problem operating a vehicle.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a one eyed partner many years ago...so it is possible and varies by locale. More info, please.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You need to be able to see in infra red like the predator.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Standard drivers license for most states that I am aware of unlesss a CDL is required in which case 20/40 each eye seperately is required

Most states requires at least 20/40 in one eye (TN is 20/30) some go up to 20/100 but lets face it jst because you might be able to drive with crap vision does not mean you can drive an ambulance

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
DOT physical? What's that? :p J/K but a reminder that not everywhere requires anything special at all to drive the bus

OP
OP
Z

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
State of Indiana

My vision is correctable to 20/20 in one eye, but the doc said the other was 2100. Had a visit to any eye doctor this year, & he said my vision was good enough to enlist in the army.