Video: EMT Acceptance Letter Reaction

Hawaii_Guy

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I just wanted to share my experience with all you awesome EMTs

Keep saving lives and stamping out disease!

Surf40

Forum Probie
I was like, you're wearing a hawaiian shirt to an interview? Then I realized you're from hawaii. Lol!

Surf40

Forum Probie
Not going to lie, didn't watch the whole video because it's long lol. But congrats! How long was your EMT class out there? I heard Hawaii's EMS licensing it totally different than other states.

OP
OP
Hawaii_Guy

Hawaii_Guy

Forum Ride Along
Hello Surf40!

Thank you for your interest. The interview was actually required as part of the application just to get into the school. I guess that serves as an example of how the system in Hawaii works as far as licensing EMTs. The school (and EMS leaders) selects 15-20 candidates for the class, which is 360 hours. The national minimum is 110 hours. This is all completed in one semester. Upon completion of the class and NREMT, you are pretty much guaranteed a job as an EMT Intermediate. To get the job you have to go through this school, which is held at a community college. The less populated islands surrounding Oahu practices a similar structure, only they only conduct the school every 3 to 4 years (I think) rather than every semester. I think it goes without saying that becoming an EMT in Hawaii is very competitive and challenging.

Also keep in mind that on Oahu, we have 30 ambulances in service for 1.2 million people during any given time. 17 ambulances of which are city and county, the remaining 13 are AMR, a private company that serves as primarily transport from hospital to hospital (they also serve as back up)

Once you have a minimum of 300 hours experience working calls (not just cumulative shift time) you can apply for Paramedic school, but there are several more prerequisite classes you must take before applying.

EMT in Hawaii pays around $30,000/year and Paramedic pays around $40,000 per year.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wait, so after 360hrs you're an EMT Intermediate?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
OP
OP
Hawaii_Guy

Hawaii_Guy

Forum Ride Along
I made an error due to me being a newbie, but I got clarification from my instructor.

The 360 hours is for the EMT basic level.

The "Advanced EMT" or EMT Intermediate is currently not recognized in Hawaii.

Its currently going through legislation and should be in effect within a year or so. Once the law changes, classes will become available.

Perfect timing for me :) It's like it was meant to be!

OP
OP
Hawaii_Guy

Hawaii_Guy

Forum Ride Along
Eek, 40,000 for a medic is rough for Hawaii.

It really is. But you have to pay to be privileged enough to live in Hawaii. I dont mind living modestly if its right next to the beach (year round 80 degree weather)

kirstywatt

Forum Ride Along
Hey There!

My name is Kirsty, I'm so have happy to have stumbled upon this thread! Awesome video man, such an inspiration! I live on Oahu and just got into KCC and am about to start some of the prerequisite classes to try to get into the EMT program.

I was hoping to open up communication with you for a little guidance around the system. I know you're probably busy in the program but I would love an insiders point of view. This is my first time in college so I'm starting from the ground up with classes. I was hoping to speak with you more about the program at KCC.

Thanks for the time, and I hope to hear back from you!

Sincerely,

Kirsty

kirstyjoywatt@gmail.com

OP
OP
Hawaii_Guy

Hawaii_Guy

Forum Ride Along
Aloha,

My biggest suggestion would be to attend an infosession on the EMT program. There you will be able to access all the information you need. If you go to the health building at KCC, find the counselors office and you can either talk to the person at the front desk or grab a flyer from right outside the counselors office. They have all the dates for the infosession there. "Kauila" is the health building. There is also an EMS office right across from the health counselor. The class is very demanding, time consuming, and very expensive. Prepare for all that. Good luck!