Veteran in UT want to become EMT

Padicom

Forum Ride Along
Hello guys and girls I am in Utah looking to become a EMT however I do have a recent conviction of driving with measurable amount of controlled substance and impaired driving which I was convicted of. Is it possible to become a EMT under these circumstances?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hello guys and girls I am in Utah looking to become a EMT however I do have a recent conviction of driving with measurable amount of controlled substance and impaired driving which I was convicted of. Is it possible to become a EMT under these circumstances?

Every situation is different, but I would say attaining certification and/or a job with those convictions on your record would be difficult.

OP
OP
P

Padicom

Forum Ride Along
Every situation is different, but I would say attaining certification and/or a job with those convictions on your record would be difficult.
Do you know if they would be disqualifying factors or if it would be more of a detriment to my resume and ability to attain job and certification. I know that having these problems definitely would put a damper on my ability to attain a job regarding competition but I'm willing to go above and beyond and do anything I need to do in order to make this happen. I was a Navy rescue swimmer for 5 years. How would it affect me becoming certified. Thank you so much for your feedback.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Any convictions involving controlled substances are usually disqualifying, not a mere detriment.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
If you want to become an EMT for the sake of reaching a goal and just for learning, I say go for it. The odds are probably against you as far as getting a job, though. There are companies that may hire anyway, but I'm sure they are few and far between. I'm not sure if event companies are strict about that so there is always a possibility of doing that at least. It's a gamble.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
You'd be unemployable for the vast majority of jobs, especially if that substance wasn't alcohol. Your best bet in this case if you want health care is to go into something like medical maintenance or something. Your prospects of clinical care are literally 0%.