Vegetarian

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Is anyone here a vegetarian?

I'm starting down that path.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Good luck with that.

Both my kids tyook their turn trying to be "vegans", it taught me to cut down the flesh, but I had to sneak protein into their food.

buscommando

Forum Probie
I am a vegetarian, been for about a decade now. It's very important to get your protein, and if you're vegan, you're probably going to need a special supplement to get some micronutrients you're not going to come by any other way.

Vegetarianism isn't just cardboard patties and pop tarts - the idea is to eat "close to the ground" and beans are a staple. Avoid heavily processed anything, eat fruits and vegetables everyday, and this is the big one...

Don't be a **** about it. Nobody likes evangelical vegetarians.

Also, I've never tried veganism, and I don't think I can recommend it. I've never met a vegan that I didn't think I could beat up, and I'm not "ripped" by any stretch of the imagination.

Two cents from an unapologetic ectomorph.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Oh man, I could never become a Vegetarian... But I do think that I should eat more fruits and vegetables, at the very least.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I did it for 4 years... didn't want to eat anything with a face. I did it as a protest against factory farming methods and a disregard for life in the face of profits.... it was informative as heck... I had to get very creative with menu choices.. ate a lot of appetizers as entres... actually expanded my availability of foods.. had to think outside the box of chicken, beef, pork or fish...

I was treated like a king (queen) at Indian restaurants.. they would get stuff off the menu for me that was outstanding...

Good luck.. and be sure to educate yourself about complete proteins...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
With my gallbladder being screwy, I might have to go vegetarian for a little while... Not looking forward to it

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Kaisu: You said you "did" it, why did you stop? If you don't mind me asking.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Because (without starting THAT debate) it is an unnatural unhealthy act.

If you're going to do it, do it smartly and eat supplements.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Kaisu: You said you "did" it, why did you stop? If you don't mind me asking.

I don't mind... I had a history of deprivation and I internalized it and proceeded to be really harsh with myself. While vegetarianism is a valid choice for a lot of reasons, at the time it was more important that I learn to be good to myself.

Sasha

Forum Chief
How is it unhealthy?

Not everyone will do it intelligently and meet all their nutritional needs and wont buy supplements which can screw you up all over the place.

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Not everyone will do it intelligently and meet all their nutritional needs and wont buy supplements which can screw you up all over the place.

So, being vegetarian itself isn't unhealthy, it's the poor choices made while being a vegetarian. Thought so. I knew vegetarianism itself, wasn't unhealthy.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
So, being vegetarian itself isn't unhealthy, it's the poor choices made while being a vegetarian. Thought so. I knew vegetarianism itself, wasn't unhealthy.

Just as eating meat isn't bad for you, but you can make it bad if you make the poor choices to eat only red meat dipped in god knows what for every meal. It all comes down to meeting your nutritional needs. If you can do that by being a vegetarian and you like that life style... more power to ya. Me? If god meant for me not to eat meat... than when did he make it so damn tasty? ^_^ Love my steak. Love my chicken. Love my pork. But I also love my fruits and veggies. Just devoured a couple apricots. Nothing is better to me than a nice piece of grilled chicken or steak with some steamed potato w/garlic and lemon, zucchini, bell pepper, and asparagus.

Of course, I like, so many, got sucked into the EMS diet years ago and found my diet consisting of fast food, beef jerky, and Monsters... not a healthy diet...

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm a vegetarian, my children are as well. I became a vegetarian because I have polycystic kidney disease and am following the "kidney diet". That combined with my hypoglycemia made for an interesting first month. :wacko: But now I've finally got the hang of the mile long list of what I can and can not eat. I also choose not to eat meat because I believe its not a necessary and unhealthy addition to a diet, I don't agree with eating animals and raising animals for slaughter, fishing, etc has a serious negative ecological impact. My diet is very strict but my children's is extremely lax. I boost their fat and protein every place I can for them. I however am on a very low protein diet so again, it was interesting at first. :p

I have tons of recipes, I'll start posting them here in a second for you. Hope you like tofu! :p

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
If you do decide to go down that path, this thread is a pretty typical example of the types of responses you'll get if you ever mention it to anyone or even eat in public.

Do you have any specific questions about it?