VA to PA License

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
Would a Virginia EMT license be able to be transferred over to a Pennsylvania license? And if so, is it possible to hold licenses in both states concurrently?

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I don't know about PA, but I know that alot of VA providers how certifications in NC. It's all going to depend on what the state requirements are. For example... NC has a lower standard for certification levels than VA. You can take a VA EMT- I course and go to NC and work as an I, you just have to get reciprocity. On the other hand, VA won't accept NC EMT-I as the same course, as NC's I program is less than that of a VA EMT-Enhanced. If you are nationally registered on the other hand, you can take the state board for that state that you are trying to get your certification in. Alot of Paramedics from NC (actually, VA residents go to NC to take the Paramedic programs because they are much cheaper), get thier NR, and then take the state boards here in VA and become practacing Paramedics in VA and NC. Several of my friends are or were working in NC as a Paramedic and also either work or volunteer in VA as a paramedic as well. It works the same for EMT-B. I've known a couple NC Paramedics who work in VA as I's. They didn't get thier NREMT-P. Check with the office of EMS in PA to see what they require.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Would a Virginia EMT license be able to be transferred over to a Pennsylvania license? And if so, is it possible to hold licenses in both states concurrently?

It is possible to hold certifications in both states concurrently. You just have to meet the re-certification requirements for both states (& pay the fee!). Sometimes this requires that you take a course or refresher in that other state (which would require some travel).

I keep my FL license current in the event I move back there some day.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The Commonwealth of Pennsyltucky is a fun state to work in. Are you looking to move into the state? the easiset way to get reciprocity is to talk to the appropriate region staff for the state, and that varies by County. My understanding, is that at the BLS level, it is mostly a matter of paperwork to get a PA cert, but you MIGHT have to do a practical exam as well.

Feel free to PM me... I live in Chester County, and work in the Philadelphia, PA area... I'd love to help you if I can.

Jon

OP
OP
J

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
Actually, I'm a high school junior in Pennsylvania currently looking at colleges. I've always thought volunteering with EMS would be interesting and I'm hoping to be able to get my EMT license before graduating college. I'm looking at Virginia Tech and their Rescue Squad which teaches two EMT courses a year and it seems like a great program, but I'm planning on coming back to PA after college so, I was wondering if their was reciprocity or whether I'd be better off waiting until I'm in PA for good to take a course.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If you want to do it, get the class early, and get lots of experience. When it comes time to looking for a job, a few years of vollie experience never hurts. You will have to fill out paperwork, and you might even need to take the state exam, but your class should be good. What county are you in? You need to talk with the EMS co-ordinator for your region to know for sure.