1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

US Paramedic registering with the HCPC in UK

Discussion in 'International EMS' started by RichF, Mar 23, 2017.

1. RichF

RichF Forum Ride Along

Education:
    Paramedic
    Hello all,

I'm a dual British/American national and worked EMS in the states for 9 years, 6+ as a Paramedic. I've just moved back to the UK and am going through the international registration process with the HCPC. Has anyone recently been through the process of going from a NREMT-P to being registered to practice in the UK? If so I'd been keen to hear how the process went for you. The processing times they talk about seem excessive and it would be useful to know if it actually takes 3-4 months to get it sorted out once they have your application in hand.

Cheers.

2. MedicBender

MedicBender Forum Captain

Education:
    Paramedic
    Hey RichF,

I know this is a bit late, but I've completed the US to UK transition about 6 months ago. It took me around 14 months total, but that included information gathering and requesting paperwork and records from my school and previous employers. Once you have all your paperwork and your packet together, the processing time will be contingent on the HCPC accepting your application for process. My application was sent back twice for corrections. They usually returned it within about 2-3 weeks with a note on what exactly needed to be corrected. My application was finally accepted around August 5th 2016, and I was added to the Register on November 28th. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

agregularguy likes this.
  3. Pond Life

Pond Life Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Hi guys,
    Hope you don't mind me asking - did HcPC require you to do a foundation degree or were they happy with reciprocity from the US ticket you already had? The reason I ask is I have a friend who is trying the same (he's a Brit but lived in the States all his life) and he has been told that because the US qualification is not at Foundation Degree level that he would have to undertake the whole course. This was by the HcPC.
    cheers
    Mike

4. MedicBender

Education:
    Paramedic
    Hey Mike,

I went through a certificate program for my NREMT-P at a community college, the HcPC was fine with this. I did not have to do any additional course work to obtain my license. They did ask the length of my program (~2 years), and requested a very detailed course description which my program director was kind enough to fill out. However at no time did they ask if it was an Associates Degree, or a Foundation Degree.

If you don't mind me asking, where did your friend obtain his NREMT-P? How many years experience does he have? From what I was told the detailed course form and the references are the two big deciding factors (and of course the money!)

5. Pond Life

Education:
    Paramedic
    Texas, I don't know the length of his course. He's been an EMT for 7 years and a Paramedic for 5 ish. In the end he opted to do offshore paramedic work with International SOS - that's where I met him.

6. MedicBender

Education:
    Paramedic
    Provided he fills out the education portion correctly, he should be fine. I mailed all my certificates in from my school as well, all of which state it was a certificate program. If he needs any help with the application or has any questions, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my direct email. I think I still have my entire final application somewhere in the depths of my hard drive for a reference.

DPM and Pond Life like this.
  7. Pond Life

Education:
    Paramedic
    thanks so much. I'll let him know

8. DPM

DPM Forum Captain

If you don't mind, I'm going to jump on this bandwagon too. I've been looking into this recently too.

9. Scott33

Scott33 Forum Asst. Chief

I looked into doing the same thing a number of years ago but it would have served no purpose at the time. I do still occasionally mull over the idea of transferring my RN credentials however.

10. MedicBender

Education:
    Paramedic
    My Mom is an RN and debated transferring her credentials, then decided to abandon the idea when she saw the application process and cost. Not worth it for what the pay is. I've heard some agencies in the US will assist though if you wanted to come over that way. Just be prepared for a lengthy hiring process. I'm currently in month 5 of my hiring process for my new NHS job.

11. bakertaylor28

bakertaylor28 Forum Lieutenant

Yeah... I'm thinking it really doesn't make sense to cross the pond. After all, it's really not worth it to go through all that mess just to get paid in pounds and to have my tea and crumpets, when its just much easer to get them imported.

Pond Life likes this.