Upstroke Ventilation - JEMS Article

cfd3091

Forum Crew Member
Everyone I spoke to so far about it agrees it makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Interpolated breaths on ten instead of five. Sure. Be sure to address airway blockage scenario in first say ten rounds .

Sidebar: it was hard to do 60 a minute, I cannot see myself doing 100 for any length of time even with my adaptive technique.

I'll go flag down the ambulance and pick up the trash afterwards.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been catching up on this research y'all have been posting lately. Quick question about this article. Obviously in this article it mentions PPV every 10th compression. But it also mentions that it is more effective to just put an NRB on the Pt, and let the physics do the ventilating during compressions, because gastric insuffulation is less likely.

Is it saying that upstroke ventilations every 10th should be used only with respiratory-related arrest, and the hands only + NRB method for cardiac arrest?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
ZZYZX has a thread about BVM's and I addressed that.

Airway tree has about 10 cubic inches. CPR displaces about 18 and change. Assuming you get total exhalation between inhalations (and you won't) that's a little over 8 cubic inches into the exchange zone (alveoli)...the size of two decks of playing cards. 4 X 1 X 2.