Summit

Critical Crazy
I saw that article today... sent it on to some folks haven't heard back

OP
OP
S

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Wasn't a department in the US doing this as well? I recall an article and a photo of them using a pelican case to prop up a backboard for "head up" CPR?
I have never heard of this actually being a thing until today. I came across it scrolling the interwebs just by chance. I will look around for it, I still have an hour of sitting around to do.

kev54

Forum Crew Member
While it's in JEMS I think SMACC Chicago had a presentation on it with the Korean study. I will see if I can find a link. I do remember a reference to the study somewhere in SMACC.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sort of on topic, while "Jems" gets a lot of bad press for their less than stellar articles, clearly they still provide some ConEd even if it can be mostly watered down.

Also, I file "EMS world" in the same class as "Jems", and think just cause it was reconfirmed, and/ or discussed at SMACC, it doesn't mean it carries any more or less credibility.

All three articles appear worth some thought:)

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know why PBCFR is going through all of those steps, to address @TomB post. It would seem much easier to transition a patient to a backboard and then prop the head end of the board up with something. Application time shouldn't equal hands-off time though. Once you have applied the LUCAS, the patient manipulation time shouldn't be clinically significant, except to possible increase ROSC. The article TomB linked showed a 7% all rhythm ROSC increase, so it seems to be working, although I wait to see some sort of published RCT.

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
Very interesting... I'd like to know more about the hemodynamics.

Last edited: