Unspoken

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
For the first year or so of working in EMS I had a regular partner. I knew her, she knew me. We talked, laughed, cried, and there is only so much you can hide in a van-type ambulance.

After a while we could do things without speaking to eachother. I knew she'd take care of something, and she knew I would take care of something. We had our patient loading and unloading down, and lifting was easier because I knew her limitations.

Does anyone feel the same way with some partners or people? Almost as if you know how they're going to respond or react?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Absolutely. At Toyota we had the same crew of four to six on as we rotated our shifts. We learned to work together very well and after many runs learned what each other were thinking or what their style was.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh definantly. I have known my partner for over a year now, before she became my partner. I can tell without her even saying anything if its a good call or a bad one, simply by looking at her. If she is talking everything is ok. If her mouth is shut and there is silence, the call is heading south, very quickly. Her and I talk almost nonstop, so if she isn't talking she is having to think and get her plan together. She can't think/talk at the same time. :p

I think thats the best way to be. You can rely on your partner to back you up without even having to say anything.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
anyone in a high intensity work enviroment is going to get to know their counterparts , quicker if that spirit of teamwork is there imho...

~S~

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Teamwork....hahahaha.....sorry, nonexistant at my FD.....so for those of you that have experienced it....I'm jealous!

emtbuff

Forum Captain
anyone in a high intensity work enviroment is going to get to know their counterparts , quicker if that spirit of teamwork is there imho...

~S~

I'll agree with Stevo on this. I know on our squad we try to keep it running with the same people however our director thinks that he needs to mix people up all the time. So I'm one that likes to run with the same person on my normal week (when I was running a regular scedule) But can run with anyone else inbetween also. Now that I'm not on the regular schedule I pick up what is needed when I can and usually go with the same people because I'm comfortable with them or I know them well enough to have my back and help me out. I think it is important for partners to know what each other can do with out having to stop and ask everytime. But yet if a crisis hits our town we all kinda know each others abilities and things work well.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I JUST posted this on another thread... I had a partner I worked with when I worked transports... we worked together for about 6 months on and off, but within a month of working with each other, we were a "team" that was much greater together than the sum of our seperate efforts... We could finish each others sentences, and were always moving in the same direction... and I could trust him to do things and not have to re-check them myself (not true with all co-workers)

Yes.. this is COMPTETLY possible. You spend enough time with a compatible person, and it can happen.