University of Arizona EMS B.S.

AlexTheChamberlain

Forum Probie
So I've been kind of interested in a degree in EMS, and came across this. It looks legit since it's actually through the medical school, and not an online degree. Wanted to see if any of you guys had heard anything about it.
UA EMS Major

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
First, let’s tune up your thinking. A degree earned online isn’t a lesser degree than a traditional degree of the same particulars. What matters far more than the type of learning you completed is the institution underwriting the degree. So an associates in art history from Harvard is going to carry more cachet than the same degree from SNHU, even if it was earned online.

Second, while most of us think going down the degree route for entry into the field will be a positive(and is a foregone conclusion at this point), at this moment in time it’s not going to do you a lick of good in terms of getting a job or making more money at that job. Someday, maybe; but right now, don’t expect an immediate ROI.

Beyond that, more education is always a good thing and if you go into it with reasonable expectations, you might come out the other end satisfied.

OP
OP
AlexTheChamberlain

AlexTheChamberlain

Forum Probie
The only reason I really liked the "in-person" part, is because ultimately I'd like to go to medical school, and almost all of them would throw out an online degree. I just like the idea of already having two years of schooling going towards a bachelors.

I've heard good things about UNM and Pittsburgh's EMS degrees, regarding alumni who went on to med school, and was thinking this may have similar outcomes, or at least a similar set up.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
The only reason I really liked the "in-person" part, is because ultimately I'd like to go to medical school, and almost all of them would throw out an online degree. I just like the idea of already having two years of schooling going towards a bachelors.

I've heard good things about UNM and Pittsburgh's EMS degrees, regarding alumni who went on to med school, and was thinking this may have similar outcomes, or at least a similar set up.

Medical schools will not throw out online degrees, they only throw out prerequisite classes that are completed online, since many have lab components which must be completed in person.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Also, getting into medical school is often competitive, so, while they don’t care that you have an online degree, the person competing with you might have something more impressive.

Most medical schools do wholistic applications and consider: who you are as a person, prior life experiences, prior medical experience, time working in a lab, time working on research, what/where you are published, other earned advanced degrees, academic societies you are involved in, total GPA, science GPA, prerequisite GPA, MCAT scores, volunteer experience, letters of recommendation and personal statement/personal goals.