Uncooperative Patients

Anonymous

Forum Captain
I had a patient the other day who called 911 for arm pain and because he wanted his medications refilled. Patient was alert and oriented, ABCs and Vitals WNL. He was sent BLS to a hospital with a long wall time. As we are holding the wall the patient quickly becomes bored with sitting on the gurney, first he wants to use the restroom, then starts hitting on every female in sight, then he wants a cigarette. The hospital is a smoke free campus and I deny him a cigarette. He then gets off the gurney and walks outside, refuses to stay on the gurney or in the ER. He then starts to roll a cigarette, lights it up and tells me to buzz off, but not in that nice of language. He won't go back inside when I ask him to and won't put out the cigarette.

The thing is the patient wants care but refuses to cooperate with me. However, I cannot transfer care until there is a bed available for him and I cannot have patient's sign AMA. Feel like I am kind of in a bind. Do I let security deal with it? The charge nurse? How would you deal with him?

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a patient the other day who called 911 for arm pain and because he wanted his medications refilled. Patient was alert and oriented, ABCs and Vitals WNL. He was sent BLS to a hospital with a long wall time. As we are holding the wall the patient quickly becomes bored with sitting on the gurney, first he wants to use the restroom, then starts hitting on every female in sight, then he wants a cigarette. The hospital is a smoke free campus and I deny him a cigarette. He then gets off the gurney and walks outside, refuses to stay on the gurney or in the ER. He then starts to roll a cigarette, lights it up and tells me to buzz off, but not in that nice of language. He won't go back inside when I ask him to and won't put out the cigarette.

The thing is the patient wants care but refuses to cooperate with me. However, I cannot transfer care until there is a bed available for him and I cannot have patient's sign AMA. Feel like I am kind of in a bind. Do I let security deal with it? The charge nurse? How would you deal with him?

Sounds like he eloped to me. Document patient broke chain of care and move on. Unless 5150, the minute they decide to get off the gurney and go outside I am done with them. They can sign the AMA or i will document an elopment with refusal. Have ED staff co-sign and be on your way

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Sounds like he eloped to me. Document patient broke chain of care and move on. Unless 5150, the minute they decide to get off the gurney and go outside I am done with them. They can sign the AMA or i will document an elopment with refusal. Have ED staff co-sign and be on your way

Perfect. That is exactly what I was not sure if I could do. I told him if he walked out of the door then he was no longer my patient, and if he wanted through the ER the only way he was getting a bed was as my patient. otherwise he could wait in the lobby with everyone else to see a doctor. Just was not sure if I could wash my hands of him at that point or if that would be considered abandonment.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At that point, its the Hospitals problem... and lies in EMTALA. The patient presented within 200 feet requesting care... involve public safety and move on.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Patient eloped. Document what happened, let the triage nurse know what happened, reset the gurney, and clear up for another run. Even the hospital can't hold someone with capacity against their will until they sign an AMA form.

However, why couldn't you have the patient sign AMA?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

Forum Captain
However, why couldn't you have the patient sign AMA?

I do not have AMA forms, I know the hospital does but I am pretty sure he would not have signed it anyway and I was not able to get much assistance from the nurses. He still wanted to be seen by a doctor, just didn't want to play by the rules in the mean time.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You guys don't put those patients in triage?

Here he would have gone out to triage, I would help register him, give the triage RN a brief report and be on my way.

I agree, document he was uncooperative and walked away and be done with it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
He wouldn't have gone to the hospital in the first place. If he was nice and truly had no means of transportation, then maybe a taxi voucher.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You guys don't have AMA forms?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

Forum Captain
You guys don't put those patients in triage?

The patients are triaged when they first arrive to the ER but they remain on our gurney until they are assigned a bed and nurse and report is given to that nurse as well. Until then they are ours. This is for runs that are sent BLS. ALS runs usually receive a bed immediately.

You guys don't have AMA forms?

No the medics have them but they don't accompany us on runs that are sent BLS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

1. Someone is courting disaster at that hospital. If they've been triaged by a staff member they are that hospitals responsibility. On the rare occasion we get stuck boarding a patient in the hall on our gurney the hospital staff want ZERO info on them. As soon as someone takes report, or traiges the patient, care has been transferred.

2. Only the medics have AMA forms? You need to do something about that ASAP. If you transport patients without medics present you also need to have forms. Period.

JPINFV

Gadfly
2. Only the medics have AMA forms? You need to do something about that ASAP. If you transport patients without medics present you also need to have forms. Period.

I think a better alternative is that if the company only wants paramedics processing AMAs, then request paramedics every time someone wants to AMA. I think stupid rules like that should be complied with to the maximum amount possible, otherwise they won't be changed.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

Forum Captain
1. Someone is courting disaster at that hospital. If they've been triaged by a staff member they are that hospitals responsibility. On the rare occasion we get stuck boarding a patient in the hall on our gurney the hospital staff want ZERO info on them. As soon as someone takes report, or traiges the patient, care has been transferred.

Actually that is how the majority of the hospitals operate around here. Thought that was the norm. They are triaged when we first arrive at the ED, then we hold the wall until a bed is available, then we give report to the nurse and transfer care. Not uncommon for my company to have multiple units holding the wall for several hours at a hospital.

I think a better alternative is that if the company only wants paramedics processing AMAs, then request paramedics every time someone wants to AMA. I think stupid rules like that should be complied with to the maximum amount possible, otherwise they won't be changed.

Currently its either AMA on scene or at the hospital after i have transferred care. If a patient absolutely refuses during transport then I notify operations. I think its worth noting i work for a private BLS company who has the 911 contract for county so we may operate a little differently?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Currently its either AMA on scene or at the hospital after i have transferred care.

So what do you do if the patient wants to leave after arriving, but before care is transferred? Is this an eloped vs AMA distinction? Are you prepared to use force to keep the patient there until care is transferred?

At least with during transport I definitely see the safety issue (no, you can't sign AMA and get out in the middle of the freeway...).

Aidey

Can you explain exactly what you mean by triage?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

Forum Captain
So what do you do if the patient wants to leave after arriving, but before care is transferred? Is this an eloped vs AMA distinction? Are you prepared to use force to keep the patient there until care is transferred?

At least with during transport I definitely see the safety issue (no, you can't sign AMA and get out in the middle of the freeway...).

If they want to leave and are competent then I just document what happened. Patient left private auto stating they did not wish to wait to be seen etc etc. Not going to hold then against their will if they are of sound mind.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by triage?

Ya im thinking perhaps my idea of triage is not the same. What i mean is i walk into the ED. Nurse asks what we have. Report is given and put in the computer. C/C history allergies, meds, interventions, vitals etc and the nurse either gives us a bed right away or we hold the wall until one is available and based on priority of the patient relative to others who may be waiting.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
Ya im thinking perhaps my idea of triage is not the same. What i mean is i walk into the ED. Nurse asks what we have. Report is given and put in the computer. C/C history allergies, meds, interventions, vitals etc and the nurse either gives us a bed right away or we hold the wall until one is available and based on priority of the patient relative to others who may be waiting.

That patient is the hospitals problem. As soon as the ED "triages" them, they can do as they see fit with them so long as they are not on my gurney. I will usually give them 15 minutes of my time to find a bed if they want otherwise they sit in the waiting area with the other BLS patients. What the ED is doing is called "patient parking" and I believe there was a directive from CMS (Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services) that this is not allowed.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Do yo mean you are not allowed to get an AMA signed, you can't get the patient to sign one, or you aren't allowed to do a witnessed two-party AMA?

Technically he is eloped, even if he is sitting three feet away, by stating he refuses care and moving away from the litter or you. Different if he refuse to stay on litter because it makes him uncomfortable, that's not an elopement unless he then evades. An example of wisdom of getting billing info first

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Write the report stating patient refused to cooperate, radio dispatch saying patient went AMA without signing and go on your way.

nocoderob

Forum Crew Member
He is there voluntarily and can come and go just the same. If he walked on me, I would have told the charge nurse he bailed then gotten in the bus and left.

If necessary, call your sup and/or base. Documentation is key here to avoid further issue.