Two questions

josh rousseau

Forum Crew Member
will having ADD mess up my chances of getting hired I understand about the Americans with disabilities act but in all real ness?

And when u were or are studying are there certain things you look or looked for in each chapter and how long did you study each day?

FirstResponder

Forum Probie
Your chances of getting hired in EMS right now are not something you should be too concerned about. There are plenty of opportunities. You'll get hired by how you conduct yourself in an interview and how you answer those typical questions such as "why did you decide to become an EMT" or "what made you want to work here vs somewhere else/ what are your long-term plans" etc. These interviews are pretty straightforward and are nothing to get worked up about. A lot of places just want to see that you're a professional, they can rely on you, and you're doing this because you want to.
As for studying-the text books usually give you key points to focus on for each chapter and have summaries at the end. Every chapter is important but definitely focus on patient assessment, human anatomy, medical terminology, and the cardiac/respiratory related chapters. Don't compare yourself to anyone when it comes to "time spent" studying- work at your own pace. What's important is that you understand the main points of each chapter. Don't worry about getting hired somewhere, that'll work itself out.

OP
OP
J

josh rousseau

Forum Crew Member
Your chances of getting hired in EMS right now are not something you should be too concerned about. There are plenty of opportunities. You'll get hired by how you conduct yourself in an interview and how you answer those typical questions such as "why did you decide to become an EMT" or "what made you want to work here vs somewhere else/ what are your long-term plans" etc. These interviews are pretty straightforward and are nothing to get worked up about. A lot of places just want to see that you're a professional, they can rely on you, and you're doing this because you want to.
As for studying-the text books usually give you key points to focus on for each chapter and have summaries at the end. Every chapter is important but definitely focus on patient assessment, human anatomy, medical terminology, and the cardiac/respiratory related chapters. Don't compare yourself to anyone when it comes to "time spent" studying- work at your own pace. What's important is that you understand the main points of each chapter. Don't worry about getting hired somewhere, that'll work itself out.
Thanks Tom appreciate it

Flummox

Forum Probie
Unless ADD impedes your ability to fulfill your duties, it is completely irrelevant. In fact, legally it's nobody's business what kind of medical conditions you have. I have a significant past psychiatric history, but because I work really, really hard to do my best, none of my instructors are any the wiser.

But I would also caution you to remember that this means it is your responsibility to be honest with yourself and assess your limitations. Something that can be hard to come to grips with is the fact that at the end of the day it doesn't matter how badly you want to be an EMT; if your performance is not adequately meeting the patient's needs, you are not cut out for EMS at this time and would do better to accept it now.

For example, I have made a contract of sorts with myself that if I can no longer do my best, I will medically withdraw from the class and seek whatever help I need to get myself together before going back.

EMS is a hard job, and not everyone will be able to do it. That is okay. Not everyone can do everything, regardless of what society teaches. You'll ultimately be happier playing to your strengths (whatever they may be).