Traveling for work

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone lived in one place and traveled somewhere else to work on a ambulance? How far did you travel and how did it work out? I am just curious because I want to live in one place but I may get hired for a company I want to work for in another place. I am just trying to figure things out, I also want to go through this companies paramedic program then try and get on with the ambulance company where I what to live. The only reason I need to travel is I am a AEMT and where I want to live doesn't allow AEMTs to work for them, that's also why I want to get my medic cert. It is a three hour drive, so I was just trying to get advice from anyone that's done this before. I hope this makes sense, I really didn't know how to word it but I tried. The place I want to go work for right now would be great experience and then after awhile I can try and get hired where I live which is a little bit less busy. Thanks

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Bremerton to Yakima WA. 196 miles from my house to the station. 48 hour shifts were great. I drove once a week.

OP
OP
F

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Bremerton to Yakima WA. 196 miles from my house to the station. 48 hour shifts were great. I drove once a week.

Cool thanks, was it hard to travel with gas wise and keep your bills paid? Going and doing a 48 hour would be perfect but where I might get hired they don't due shifts like that. I only plan on working there a couple years but where I want to live also has a great college so I can continue my education which would be nice, there's just a lot of oppritunity I can do. I might be able to stay pre diem or part time too so I wouldn't have to travel to much but I don't know, well thanks again and if anyone else has any input that would be great.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I live 50 to 60 miles from the possible Ambulance company I may be working for. I live two blocks from a Hospital that won't hire me. So I have to try out of town. Try and find a place where you can work and sleep at the same time and just wait for the alert tones to go off and then you get paid while you sleep. Just like living at a Fire station. work 36 hours and then home.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I used to work at a place that was about 120 miles from home, about a 2-3 hour drive, depending upon traffic. I did a 36 hour shift once per week and went home. I only had to make that round trip once every week, and I did it for a few years. It really wasn't that bad, actually. I probably wouldn't do it if I had to commute that much every day for some relatively low wage. If I'm going to go that far, I'm only going to want to fill the tank once per commute and be paid really, really well for my time over there.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Where I live to where I work is an 8 -10 hour flight. I am mostly out of medical clinics but we do run ambulances as well. ( industrial oil field).

Before this, at a previous job I traveled an hour each way for a 24 . I have also travelled over 2 hours each way for ot shifts.

The money didn't really justify it as I pretty much broke even but it offered me better experience and better protocols.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP:
How hard is the drive? Do you get snowstorms or such there? Is it over the Cajon or other mountain passes? How does the cost of living compare between the job site and your present site? Does you attendance record in school and on the job indicate you will not be late or blow off shifts due to the commute? If you stay over between shifts, where will that be and how much will it cost? Will you be driving home while fatigued?

Oh, and how dependable and gas-efficient is your car?

Here, in my sixties, commuting sixty miles would be dicey. In Nebraska where they get blizzards, unthinkable even as a young man.

OP
OP
F

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks everyone for the advice! I have a car that does great with gas, I also have family that lives where I would be working, so I could stay there when I was to tired or worked a couple days in a row.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I loved the drive and the experience. I was driving a Toyota Tacoma. Gas wasn't a huge issue. I brought my own food, so no other expense. I also worked per diem the other 5 days at a local place that paid great. It was a win/win for me.

OP
OP
F

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for all the help, it sounds like it can be done. Plus I wouldn't mind the driving I just don't know about the scheduling, I can ask while going through my training. I can also get a little studio apartment where I would work down the road if I needed to. I just want to live in a place I enjoy but I may get the chance to work for a company I want to work for for a while. Just have a lot of thinking to do, if I can do it I will and it sounds like I will if I get the job. So thank you all again and anyone else chime in if you want.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Every other rotation my station is about 50 minutes away with two fairly significant passes/canyons on the way. I don't even bat an eye, especially being on 24s.

I tried to commute from Colorado Springs to Denver for 10 hour day shifts, that was terrible. 2 hour morning commute in traffic, absolutely not.

OP
OP
F

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Every other rotation my station is about 50 minutes away with two fairly significant passes/canyons on the way. I don't even bat an eye, especially being on 24s.

I tried to commute from Colorado Springs to Denver for 10 hour day shifts, that was terrible. 2 hour morning commute in traffic, absolutely not.

I could image driving that in traffic the whole time would be awful! The drive route I would be taking wouldn't be in traffic like that. Putting all that mileage on my car will suck though, but the pros are a lot better: living some where I will enjoy, close to my family, great college with a lot of oppritunity in EMS/fire, and eventually where I want to work when I get my medic. So it would be worth it. I will keep you guys up to date with what happens, I am testing with them very soon and will let you know how that goes. Thanks again for all the advice so far.

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
My drive is 135ish for sometimes 24 hour shifts. It is good experience though. I would be working at a much closer location if i had removed the nitro patch prior to shocking the patient. When they say verbalize pads, always make sure to visualize also while you verbalize.

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
What happens when you defib a patient with a NTG patch on? Did he explode?

For the purposes of the simulation, he got deader... I think. It was a critical fail for where I tested. Even though I hit all my other points and was good on interventions and protocols.