Trauma lessons with a turkey

sandboxmedic

Forum Crew Member
Thinking back to when i was in medic school, besides some of the montonous(sp?) work, had 1 particularly fun day, just before Thanksgiving. Our instructor brought in a HUGE roll of industrial plastic in a roll and instructed us to
duct tape it up high on the walls, to the floor, and give plenty of room, dont be stingy with the plastic. Next he brought out a couple thawed turkeys. Next we had a baseball bat, different types of knives (straight vs serrated), and a few other toys. He had me start with lifting the turkey up and "batting" it into the wall, then we stabbed them with the diff weapons ( I know sounds morbid). However, when it was all done we carefully dissected them and made note of damage. Broken bones, vascular structures, potential for internal organ damage, straight blade trauma vs. serrated. Probably the best impromtu, fun, trauma lesson ive ever had besides working in the ER. Gives you a different aspect on anatomy and thinking "outside the box". Wish i had a picture of the other EMT classes staring "wide-eyed" at us through the windows......LOL

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that would have been a site to see!!! :p:p:p

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess that is one way to "PASS THE TURKEY"!!! :lol::lol::lol:

OP
OP
sandboxmedic

sandboxmedic

Forum Crew Member
I guess that is one way to "PASS THE TURKEY"!!! :lol::lol::lol:
yes i must say it was interesting,....looked like a crime scene when we were done...LMAO. tape, plastic, bits o' meat on the ground.....but a great and fun lesson none-the-less. Never knew i had "turkey-bat" talent until after that one. Even funnier, was, when i walked in with the bat through the hallways, security was spun up,..hhahhahhh......just the thought, have backpack-baseball bat, will travel look,..hahaahhh

I was one of the fortunate to have a class like this, most everything else seems to be so book and DBPP (death by power point) instruction. Its rare you find an instructor or class as unique as this one was. For example, did your medic school set up dummies flipped over in a car-entrapped that you had to intubate upside down?