Trauma assement

fenris911

Forum Ride Along
I have veiwed many videos and other training materials for the practicals. -- especially the trauma assement.

I have always understood that you would have two ghost EMTs. Now I am told only one. Aslo, on every video I watched they actually did a rapid trauma accessment, and then the detailed en-route. also, they all included doing a separate "blood sweep'" there-by finishing the circulation part of the ABCs before going on to transport decicion.

During paractice, I did all this the way I learned -- on my own. Athought i got a perfect score (it took the whole 10 min) i was criticised for doing a rapid trauma and a detailed. It does say "DETAILED" -- as in "detailed physical exam." I was also criticized for doing a blood sweep. Redundant.

By doing the rapid, I was able to verbalize c-collar before goning on to the chest, allowing me to fully access the neck.

The other students did a rapid only, but the instructor marked everything they did under the "detailed exam" section. i'm lost now. i thought i had this all down.

Now iIam totally confused, and my practicals are on Saturday, May 24th.

We will have diffeerent proctors for the real thing, but now i don't know what to espect. Have I practiced everything wrong?

any clarification?

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
I remeber for my practical testing. I had a middle aged male that fell down a flite of stairs. He had battle wounds and I don't exactly remeber all the details.

Pt responded to painful stimuli. ABCs were fine so far. I did a very quick RAPID trauma assessment and treated what I found on scene. Which was a sever hematoma and I think a broken femur with a laceration. Transported and re-assessed with a DETAILED physical exam. And re-checked all interventions.

They are going to give you a scenario like "so and so was ejected from a car" or "so and so fell off a roof". Something along those lines.

CPG

Forum Crew Member
My Practicals

Depends on where you attend. for my practicals, they stated that they are NREMT practicals, you will have one assistant in the room.

My Practicals:

Trauma: Power Saw to leg, one assistant (not needed). Pt was sitting in the chair, LBB not needed either.

Medical. Chest Pain. No assistant

CPR: CPR / Trauma fall, used c-collar. Assistant was by-stander doing poor CPR. I had to coach the correct technique.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
don't worry they give you 2 other ghost EMT's to help you that will understand what you say and take care of it right a way when you state to do it i.e control bleeding, c-spine. some proctors see more than others so i hope it went good for you yesterday. on mine the proctor missed half of the stuff i called out cause he was talking to his buddy while i was in the middle of my assesment and i had to do it over again that day:angry: but i'm sure you stuck to your guns and did just fine.