Trauma and bls

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
Your a bls unit, you come upon a single vehicle mva on the freeway, driver is out of the vehicle .female 5mo pregenant, abd/chest pain 8/10 knee pain 6/10 + bruising. - deformities. Your told fire is responding, your on scene for 11 minutes. Scene is clear, traffic is flowing chp is leaving, still no fire. Your in the ambulance, with the patient. Do you stay and wait for fire or transport and why. Your a non 911 provider.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Your a bls unit, you come upon a single vehicle mva on the freeway, driver is out of the vehicle .female 5mo pregenant, abd/chest pain 8/10 knee pain 6/10 + bruising. - deformities. Your told fire is responding, your on scene for 11 minutes. Scene is clear, traffic is flowing chp is leaving, still no fire. Your in the ambulance, with the patient. Do you stay and wait for fire or transport and why. Your a non 911 provider.

What do your protocols say? How far away is the hospital? Get an ETA from fire if possible. If fire is 10 mins out and the hospital is 8 mins away why would you wait for fire?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
To avoid a potentially enormous pain in the butt, in the ridiculous system that is CA, I would wait as long as possible for fire. I can't imagine working in this system, and I really can't imagine letting PD clear the scene without a "real" ambulance on scene. I would have had my partner make a huge stink with the cop when we realized they were planning to clear.

I probably wouldn't have stopped in the first place, if I couldn't finish the job.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
To avoid a potentially enormous pain in the butt, in the ridiculous system that is CA, I would wait as long as possible for fire. I can't imagine working in this system, and I really can't imagine letting PD clear the scene without a "real" ambulance on scene. I would have had my partner make a huge stink with the cop when we realized they were planning to clear.

I probably wouldn't have stopped in the first place, if I couldn't finish the job.

Most companies require you to stop at an accident scene unless you have a patient on board already.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
require or allow? Yet another reason I won't be going to California to do EMS.

Require. Think about the publics view of "there is an accident and people are probably hurt". And then an inservice ambulance just drives by the scene and waves if that. The company would get alot of complaints and possibly could get written up.

JPINFV

Gadfly

ETA for fire? Heck, if I can't see them after waiting that long and lack the ability to contact them directly (where I worked in So. Cal., only the 911 units had access to the radio system that the fire department was on) I'd call 911 directly to get patched through to the fire department dispatcher. The other consideration is what is the ETA to a trauma center. It would be better to wait a few minutes longer in order to get the patient to the proper hospital in this case.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
What do your protocols say? How far away is the hospital? Get an ETA from fire if possible. If fire is 10 mins out and the hospital is 8 mins away why would you wait for fire?
Simple. This. IMHO, for a trauma, if you've been on scene for 11 minutes, you've been on scene too long. Probably 3-5 minutes too long. I'm not saying you should simply scoop and run, but it's not like you really need to be sitting on scene. Whether or not you're supposed to put her on a backboard

If your local protocols allow for a non-911 BLS unit to transport such calls, get an ETA from Fire, if their ETA is > than your ETA to the appropriate hospital, generally it's best to transport.

ETA: Some county policies require that an ambulance that doesn't have a patient on board to stop and render aid, some to include transport. Some counties stipulate that a BLS unit may transport if the time from patient contact to arrival at the hospital is less than some specified period of time, regardless of the availability of ALS. If that time is 10 minutes or less... most units won't be speedy enough to assess, load, and transport within that time thus ALS can arrive on scene and "properly" determine patient destination. Incidentally, Santa Clara County's destination policy isn't all that different BLS vs. ALS. The exception to that rule is Code 3 Transports... ALS goes to the most appropriate facility unless it's a no-airway situation and BLS would go to the closest facility regardless for Code 3. Code 2 transport destinations for ALS and BLS units are identical, at least when I last reviewed that policy.

Also, Santa Clara County ambulances can all communicate with the County Comm directly via radio. When I used to work in Sacramento County, all units were provided direct telephone numbers for fire dispatch and the Sheriff's Department as well as direct phone numbers to all the ED's in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I would just transport? Or call the base hospital and talk to them...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
require or allow? Yet another reason I won't be going to California to do EMS.

It's been the general rule in the several states I've lived in (Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Maryland, etc). I always assumed that it was kind of a standard practice.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's been the general rule in the several states I've lived in (Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Maryland, etc). I always assumed that it was kind of a standard practice.

i assumed it was standard practice also. But i guess its not :wacko:

OP
OP
Focallength

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
We transported. Level 1 trauma 5 miles away. Who knows when als will arrive. Trauma doc said we did good, trauma nurse pissed because we didnt wait for als, complained to company, filed charges with state. I have yet to find a protocol we broke. Sac county only mentions max 10 minutes on scene, txp to trauma center. She could have delivered a viable baby, not to mention internal injuries. co. put us on unpaid leave for violating protocol, but the co. has no protocol for this issue.

Agreed we had pt interest in mind, everyone but one nurse says we did the right thing, from nicu nurses,bc's trauma md.

Our protocol is stop and render aid to anyone who may need it.

Hospital was told we were txp code3 bls. Gave no orders. Disp told we were txp code 3 bls gave no orders.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We transported. Level 1 trauma 5 miles away. Who knows when als will arrive. Trauma doc said we did good, trauma nurse pissed because we didnt wait for als, complained to company, filed charges with state. I have yet to find a protocol we broke. Sac county only mentions max 10 minutes on scene, txp to trauma center. She could have delivered a viable baby, not to mention internal injuries. co. put us on unpaid leave for violating protocol, but the co. has no protocol for this issue.

Agreed we had pt interest in mind, everyone but one nurse says we did the right thing, from nicu nurses,bc's trauma md.

Our protocol is stop and render aid to anyone who may need it.

if that happened to me i would talking to the company about unpaid leave. if they have no evidence that you violated protocol then they wont have any defense as to why they put you on unpaid leave.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
and that is why...

Nursing should have no independant authority.

Their decisions should always go through a doctor.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief

Unless you suspect she needs an immediate airway or needle in the chest, go to the hospital. Even if she needs and airway or needle in the chest, unless they are much closer or you can intercept while heading in the direction of the hospital, go to the hospital.

Trevor

Forum Crew Member
Im confused? Now i dont know your protocols or policies involving this kind of stuff. You working for a private/transport company would probably be an important factor in this... I'm lucky enough to work for a third service and if someone said i "had to wait for the Fire Department to show up" I'd probably laugh hysterically... Then take care of my patient. But i know Fire has their hands in everything in Cali (anything to justify their big budgets right?) But is this an ALS patient where you live? I mean in my system she meets "trauma Transport" criteria (sometimes called Cat 2 other places). So she probably needs to go to the trauma center for eval and 10 minute scene time is a good idea, because she COULD have seriuos injuries, but...

1) Was she ALS?
2) Was she hemodynamically stable?
3) were there other injuries?
4) If the nurse is upset that you didnt wait for an ALS crew, then obviously she thought the patient was sick, then why would they want you to wait for an ALS crew to get there and prolong scene time of a trauma patient even longer?
*******5) Why the F is a nurse "filing charges" against you with the state?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
ALS doesn't matter at all.

This is a trauma patient.

Surgical or not, what is needed is the expertise and equipment found in the hospital.

As those resources are not possible to bring to the field, the only solution is to take the patient to the hospital as safely and quickly as possible.

The fact that a nurse decided that ALS was beneficial goes to show how little he/she knows about trauma, and how said nurse should not be making decisions at all where it is concerned.

Trevor

Forum Crew Member
ALS doesn't matter at all.

This is a trauma patient.

Surgical or not, what is needed is the expertise and equipment found in the hospital.

As those resources are not possible to bring to the field, the only solution is to take the patient to the hospital as safely and quickly as possible.

The fact that a nurse decided that ALS was beneficial goes to show how little he/she knows about trauma, and how said nurse should not be making decisions at all where it is concerned.

Exactly the point i was trying to make...

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

When I worked at privates, the general practice was for us to stop and act in an assisting role only. We waited for the dispatched units to arrive, and then cleared pretty quick.

Some municipalities around here have legislation that states that only the designated provider can tranport patients from emergency scenes within the jurisdiction. Then again, those jurisdictions get people on scene before it's been so long.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I agree with the idea that you have to follow protocol, regardless of how you feel about it. If you are not really sure of it, hell shoot for patient care. If you are a BLS unit, 911 or not, I would assume you have a state licensed ambulance that has the potential to handle the call, and hopefully people trained to treat the problem. Why wait for fire? If you can transport, transport. Fire can or an additional ambulance can always intercept.