Transport I had today

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
Aight so we picked up a 84 year old female with terminal cancer to transport her to her doctors office. Her vitals at the time were

Bp: 72/50( this was acquired by the doctor, no one on our truck could even hear any sounds while trying to get bp, doctor had to use an amplifier)
Pulse 122
Resp. Rate 28 very shallow
O2 sat was 91
Cap refill 3 seconds
very lethargic

She was also shaking very bad and this was not normal for her. We took her to her doctor and they immediately got a DNR order.

Im thinking at this point in time she was in decompensation shock. Anybody else got any ideas?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think she's 84 year old with terminal cancer who was probably on palliative care before, and if they got the DNR at the office, definitely afterwards. Rule number 1 is people die, and sometimes the best thing to do is not argue or fight with rule number 1.

OP
OP
M

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
true but Looking at her vitals it seems to me like she is in decompensated shock thats what im wondering

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
She's certainly decompensating, but....saying someone's on decompensated shock is clinically about as useful as saying someone died from cardiac arrest. Without a root cause of the hypoperfusion, you can't really start treating it appropriately.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
She has terminal cancer, what else would she be doing but decompensating?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The low BP, tachycardia and tachypnea are signs of shock .... as well as four hundred different things.

They are broadly specific to somebody who is hypoperfused however are not highly specific to a particular aetiology.

Brown would be more concerned with this patients GCS, mental state, past history and trend.

Was this an acute job or was it a pre-arranged Nana-taxi?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
She has terminal cancer, what else would she be doing but decompensating?

There's terminal cancer, and there's end-stage cancer. There's lots of folks walking around with essentially terminal cancer, it just hasn't gotten to the point of completely impairing biological function.

OP
OP
M

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
The low BP, tachycardia and tachypnea are signs of shock .... as well as four hundred different things.

They are broadly specific to somebody who is hypoperfused however are not highly specific to a particular aetiology.

Brown would be more concerned with this patients GCS, mental state, past history and trend.

Was this an acute job or was it a pre-arranged Nana-taxi?

This was a pre-arranged transport and the nurse was real quick with wanting us to leave with her

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At that point you really need to focus on comfort measures. Perhaps she would feel better with some IV fluid, anti-emetics or pain relief. Beyond that, you're not going to treat much.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There's terminal cancer, and there's end-stage cancer. There's lots of folks walking around with essentially terminal cancer, it just hasn't gotten to the point of completely impairing biological function.

True... but all end-stage cancer is terminal cancer.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
True... but all end-stage cancer is terminal cancer.

True, but not all patients with terminal cancer are acutely decompensating (i.e. end-stage).

I think we can declare the water sufficiently muddy now :D.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
True, but not all patients with terminal cancer are acutely decompensating (i.e. end-stage).

Nah, we haven't even discussed stage 4 cancer yet. :p

JPINFV

Gadfly

EMT IQ test?

If all of A are B, and some of B are C, then...