Transport or volley?

• Volley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Transport

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

EOPFD

Forum Probie
just got licensed about 2 months ago. Is a transport company going to give me any sort of expierence that will help me get a 911 job? Or am I better of just being a volley?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Why not do both while waiting on the 911 job?

While responding to 911 calls off the bat is exciting and all, you will NOT learn as much as you do from doing IFT. These patients come with ****tons of medical paperwork, a number of medical devices (upon first sight, I mistook Wound-Vac tubing for a catheter), and a patient history that has been done for you, all in a relatively controlled environment.

If you spend any amount of time and effort making the connections between the information in the papers and what the patient looks like, you will learn and be far more prepared than the volunteer who learns everything the hard way.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I enjoy making money when I go to work. Working an IFT truck may not be glamourous but you will learn a lot if you put some effort in and it will give you that magical resume boost of "experience."

Volunteer if you want, but any paying 911 gig worth its salt will provide additional training to help you adjust.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I learned alot in ift (still do) 911 uses your skills but ift tests your people skills and general med Knowledge.Of course, I'll rather do 911 though ( I do a shift a week or so for a oc beach city)

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Ask if private ambulance your applying to does non-911 emergencies. You also got flag downs to look forward to if your lucky. Txp pays the bills and gets you experience. Volly gets you experience but doesnt pay $$

Pay to play

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Depends where you are located. I wouldn't volly for experience, and there are even some places I have worked that counted volly experience against you.