Training

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
So, today at work I was having a discussion on ways to improve our current training program. Currently, informal trainings are conducted intermittently by one of the two paramedics that are certified instructors. We are looking into conducting a training session every shift, probably spanning 30 mins to an hour. These sessions would strive to improve efficiency on both BLS and ALS skills, with an emphasis on skills observed to be commonly performed unsatisfactory, and skills seldom used. They would preferably be conducted at the beginning of each shift, when crews are least likely to be tired and worn out. We have several medics at our service with many years at our service who are not certified instructors, but do have years of experience and an extensive knowledge base who would be well suited leading the trainings.

I am interested in hearing on how other agencies continually train their personnel, and any suggestions on ways to potentially improve our training program.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Official or un-official training?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At one of my flight programs we had a program similar to what you describe. We had a pretty neat little sim-lab set up and the two training officers developed a training schedule that roughly correlated with the NREMT-P requirements, and once or twice a month would meet with each crew to go over whatever was on the schedule for that month. It was usually something in the sim lab, but sometimes it was going over a new protocol or clinical policy. It was fairly informal, but it was mandatory and each crew member was responsible for making themselves available to the training officers to meet the requirements. With a fairly small group of people who as a whole were motivated to learn and improve, it worked pretty well.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
My company is suffering under its own weight in the training department. We're too big to be able to regularly reach out to the whole street team, but too small to have a full size, full time staff development/education department. The folks we have are great, but they can't handle the amount of people they are charged with.

Once you're cut loose from ride time, you get periodic updates on new gear, protocols etc by PowerPoint. Eventually a sup will come find you on the road and show you the new gear live(if applicable), sign you off and everybody moves on with their lives.

Having a mandatory in person training for a thousand employees working a variety of schedules would be a nightmare and take months and months to accomplish.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
un-official.
unofficial, my CC-P partner generally has a sim lab of some kind set up, for me (1/shift). He will have me say what i think it is, what i should be getting him, so he can do what he needs to do, then at the end he corrects me. I find it really helps build that connection between us, making it so when sht hits the fan for real, it goes a lot smoother. **this is also on a municipality budget not a private company**. Sometimes the head of the EMS unit at the sheriffs office (where i work EMS) will have a once a month(more like every other) official training session, where it's essentially play time with the mannequins and the CC-P's/ CCRN's go around and help us out for the first few hours, then practice their fairy magic stuff. What i really like about that is at the end, they put you with your normal partner, and give a full blown scenario, and let you both go full out. So i'd get all the stuff aligned the way he likes his stuff, get the call to the hospital going ect.
**this is what me and my partner do if we have time, during my shift once every 10 days or so. I do not know if other people at my dpt/service do this**