For the rest of my life"

Requiscat et Pax.

Hemostatic

Forum Probie
"Step forward now, you soldiers,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."

Rest easy brothers and sister, we have the watch.

Is New Zealand really still using humvees for combat patrols?

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Yes Hemostatic. We don't have the big $$$ like the USA do, for our army and the area that the Kiwi's have been partrolling, was relatively quiet until a short time ago. From what the powers that be were saying, it wouldn't have mattered what they were travelling in, by the force of the bomb used. The outcome would have been much the same.

P.S. They were not partrolling..they were in convoy to take a member to see a doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
Yes Hemostatic. We don't have the big $$$ like the USA do, for our army and the area that the Kiwi's have been partrolling, was relatively quiet until a short time ago. From what the powers that be were saying, it wouldn't have mattered what they were travelling in, by the force of the bomb used. The outcome would have been much the same.

P.S. They were not partrolling..they were in convoy to take a member to see a doctor.
I thought you guys picked up some of the bushmaster cars for this kind of work?

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz

Truth be known, they would have probably been safer on camels.
BTW I think we have the Aussies to thank for bringing our lost soldiers home.:)

DPM

Forum Captain

Bushmaster is a good bit of kit, but if the device is big enough then you're toast. An IED took out a Challenger II main battle tank in Basra a few years ago.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Hemostatic

Forum Probie

Please understand, I was not trying to insult NZ in any way. I spent a lot of time dealing with roadside bombs over there, and it angers me to no end that we still have friendly troops being sent outside the wire, for any reason, with inadequate equipment to deal with the threat.

We, as a coalition, need to do a better job of looking out for each other.

I do not wish to hijack this thread and detract from the respect being paid to you fallen soldiers. If you feel it is appropriate to continue this conversation here, I will follow your lead. Otherwise feel free to PM me.

"...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother..."

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Please understand, I was not trying to insult NZ in any way. "...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother..."

No offence taken. :)

The NZ public are also rather peeved that our troops are running around in such vehicles as well and are asking questions as to why our soldiers are still over there.
I guess it doesn't help with losing five of them in two weeks. That's half the number that have fallen in this whole campaign. Which is nothing compared to your fallen.
Although every life counts and it is the nature of the beast we are all dealing with!

PVC

Forum Crew Member
May the families of our fallen ANZAC brothers find peace in this time of terrible loss. My deepest condolences.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
NZ soldiers farewell Kiwi style

I thought I'd add this youtube clip to this thread....It is quite a moving tribute.
The Haka that is performed, is a native expression of respect, as two of the soldiers were Maori (NZ Natives)
and it was most fitting to welcome them back to New Zealand in such a way, to honour our dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM

P.S. It would probably scare the pants of a few terrorists!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
That was THE most powerful sendoff I've ever seen, Thank you!

Mine will be two guys, two shovels, a pit and complaints about not getting overtime.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
:D Firetender....I thought you'd be sent off with the Pu (Conch shell)... at the least!
The Haka does stir up something deep within. I'm glad that I could share it with you all.