Toughbooks ESO

samiam

Amazing Member
Has anyone had experience with ESO solutions PCR running on toughbooks and them significantly overheating to the point of hard drive failure? If so any solutions?
Thank you

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
No, thats purely a hardware issue

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If your computer is overheating to the point of hard drive failure, you need to 1) go back to the hardware manufacturer and tell them to fix their crappy product 2) switch to solid state hard drives, or M.2 hard drives, for even more resilience to issues and 3) make sure the fan is running in the systems that are overheating.

in 99.99% of issues, the software has nothing to do with the issue you are describing.

OP
OP
samiam

samiam

Amazing Member
I get what you guys are saying, that being said all these issues started occurring right after switching pcr programs. Was the only common thing. Had a lot of drives fail and crews noticing how hot the thoughbooks are.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Our toughbooks have all kinds of software/hardware integration issues that none of our other laptops or tablets have. The hardware/software integration just doesn't seem to work very well and I'm not sure why. We don't have issues with overheating but we do have issues with software that suddenly won't authenticate or dropping signal constantly. Our system doesn't have a particular brand loyalty and our HP and Dell laptops don't have the same issues.

It is possible that your software is putting more demand on your laptops than they can handle, especially if they are older. I'm not any kind of computer expert but in my past experience memory intensive programs tend to save on the hard drive when there isn't enough ram, although by the time you pay for repairs and upgrades you may just be better off buying new equipment.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
ESO runs like a champ on an iPad Mini 4 which is quite rugged and waterproof inside an otterbox case, and the battery will last indefinitely if it's plugged in between uses (and between 6-12 hours of hard use if not). They also come with the benefit of easily capturing signatures, built-in cellular, GPS with hardware tracking, and hardware/software/internet restrictions baked into the OS... and it fits in BDU cargo pockets/jump kits/stretcher baskets/etc. I have yet to find a laptop that is remotely as convenient & inexpensive as a tablet.

The only downside is the inability to run the ESO APP on IOS. They require a Windows system to run the app, so you'll need reliable cellular connectivity in your service area in order to use the ESO website.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
my day job is as an IT engineer, so I spend waaaaay too much time dealing with things like this.

if this issue started right after you switched software, than the only way the new software is causing the issue is because the new software is causing the CPU to perform more calculations that it was designed for, and the heat dissipation system just isn't up to the task. That's the 0.01% example i was alluding to earlier, and the only solution to that is to upgrade your hardware to a stronger system.

How old are these devices? is it possible that they are just aging out, and the hardware can't handle the ESO software? I'm still leaning towards a hardware failure, likely in the cooling system of the device.

If I was you, I would make schedule a meeting with your ESO account manager, and your hardware vendor, and explain the situation to them, and let them fight it out. Let them review a failed device, and see if they can see what happens, if they are over heating, or if the program is causing the system to generate more heat than they were designed for. I'm assuming you pay for support, well, this is one of those times when it's easier for their experts to look into an issue vs spending your time trying to prove it's someone else's issue.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I still don't understand why ESO will not create a mobile app for iOS or android. Seems very shortsighted to me.