Tough call not sure what was going on.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Scenario:

You get a call that initially comes out as heart problems. A 27 y/o male with previous heart hx and a A.I.C.D. In route the call updates to a domestic violence and the scene is not safe. You stage two blocks down. About 15 seconds pass and someone stops and is hysterical, saying she is his sister and he is dying on the ground.

We ask what happened and she states he was found on the floor of the basement breathing rapidly and unable to talk. Is anyone arguing? I say. Nope she says, no weapons no nothing. Due to the nature of the call I make a split second decision to go to the scene without law enforcement. Before getting out of the truck I look over the scene, no weapons, knife's etc. No yelling. We approach and I am looking for weapons, I know this is dangerous but with the urgency in her voice, I wondered well what if he is dying.

Patient is on the floor breathing about 50 times/minute, HR 85 sinus rhythm. Only medical hx is seizures and panic attacks, neither have occurred recently. No meds, no allergies. The patient is pounding on his chest, he does have some wheezing but I can't tell if it patient created or new onset asthma. We get him to truck and 15L NRB and he sucks all air out of the bag. His pulse ox is 98%, pupils dilated, denies drug use. He is flailing around but it is not seizure activity, he can make purposeful movements and is breathing, he has not urinated on himself. He gets tired of breathing in route and RR slows, I try to put in a OPA and he is alert enough to try to spit it out. I start assist bagging and he is still at 98%.
IV 18ga left upper arm saline lock. I start to think excited delirium because he is hot to touch, but temp reads 98. I think panic attack, but all I have seen have tachy rates above 110.

I was not sure what was going on so I provided support. We got to ER and he got .5mg ativan to calm down and then they infused mag sulfate. The docs weren't really sure what was going on either.

Thoughts?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
EtCO2? BGL? 12-lead?

As far as breathing goes, was there extra effort? Accessory muscle usage? Pt complaining of corpal-pedal spasms? Any complaints or dyspnea at all, or was it just rapid breathing?

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen self-induced hyperventilation.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
EtCO2? BGL? 12-lead?

As far as breathing goes, was there extra effort? Accessory muscle usage? Pt complaining of corpal-pedal spasms? Any complaints or dyspnea at all, or was it just rapid breathing?

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen self-induced hyperventilation.

Was so wrapped up helping him breathing I forgot about EtCO2, unable to get BGL due to patient agitation, no 12 lead done. While it is easy for me to see what I could have done, I was concerned about his airway and breathing. I always use EtCO2, It was so hectic I guess it slipped my mind.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Why the mag? Maybe for alkalosis due to the increased respirations? The ativan makes sense since he was so amped up.

Where did you get the temp from? Hx of seizures but no meds, that doesn't make any sense to me but I'm new to the whole ALS word. I've learned to take dispatch info with a grain of salt, they follow protocols to certain key words and answers.

I don't know if anything else could have been done for this guy prehospitally, I would have considered 1 mg versed to calm him down for his and my safety but that's about all I got. Sounds almost like an extreme anxiety attack, were you able to find out anything about onset? Possible trigger maybe? The wheezing may be helped with albuterol and if that didn't work a duoneb but that's just me.

Did you get a SpO2 prior to the NRB? Flushed skin? Was the wheezing audible or auscultated?

This is an interesting one.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
I am going to side with the panic attack and hyperventilating.
Give them 1 - 2mg of Atvian. Either a paperbag or a NRB (with no O2 flowing)Continue to monitor and deliver to the ED.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I wouldn't have suggested this until about 3 months ago when we came across a kid in a true full blown panic attack but yeah it sounds like a panic attack. I've seen some since that sound like this guy.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Give them 1 - 2mg of Atvian. Either a paperbag or a NRB (with no O2 flowing)Continue to monitor and deliver to the ED.
While this may be a panic attack w/ hyperventilation, I disagree with use of a paper bag or NRB without O2 flowing. IMHO, if it's a panic attack and he's hyperventilating, as soon as he passes out, his RR will drop right down. I've had pretty good luck with coaching someone's breathing pattern. I like the idea of giving ativan though. If not in the standing orders, could it have been possible to get an order for IM ativan?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

When was the last time you were in school or did any reading on the subject? This isn't the 90s. A paper bag or NRB reduces their available o2 and increase their anxiety... :rolleyes: I agree with coaching the pt as Aidey said.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm gonna go with a panic attack as well, however I would also like to have seen a 12-lead and ETCO2 and this guy. That aside, did you consider a duoneb for the wheezing?

I would have started with the NRB, tried a duoneb, given 1 mg Versed, and attempted to coach his breathing down. Other than that, I don't see much else that we can do for this guy.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Working in a hosptial ED, I go with what the doctor orders. Yes, they still order a paperbag. And yes, they sometimes do order a NRB without oxygen. Nothing wrong with trying to calm your pt. But, calming and doing something the patient thinks is benefical (NRB mask without O2) is also calming and reassuring to the PATIENT.
I treat the PATIENT, unlike some of you who feel you should treat the patient by reading a book or going back to school.

I do have protocols to give IV or IM ativan.

Just wondering why? NVrob you feel it is necessary to make the comments the way you?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Working in a hosptial ED, I go with what the doctor orders. Yes, they still order a paperbag. And yes, they sometimes do order a NRB without oxygen. Nothing wrong with trying to calm your pt. But, calming and doing something the patient thinks is benefical (NRB mask without O2) is also calming and reassuring to the PATIENT.
I treat the PATIENT, unlike some of you who feel you should treat the patient by reading a book or going back to school.

Just wondering why? NVrob you feel it is necessary to make the comments the way you?

Ummmm, what?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

When your treatments are outdated, that's why. That's harmful and disrespectful to a patient. Sure there are placebo studies out there but the patients sign an acknowledgment that they may or may not receive a placebo medication.

INFORMED consent....how is that informed when you don't tell them what your doing? I do treat the PATIENT and adhere to their rights as a PATIENT. You may receiver orders from an MD but you are a PATIENT advocate and have the right to refuse their orders with the PATIENT's best interest in mind.

Apparently you need to go back to school to review patient consent. Don't call me out like that, I know there are people here who will support me and my statements.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
When your treatments are outdated, that's why. That's harmful and disrespectful to a patient. Sure there are placebo studies out there but the patients sign an acknowledgment that they may or may not receive a placebo medication.
Our waiver for treatment states "I allow my EMS, physician and hospital staff to treat me in the way they deem best".

INFORMED consent....how is that informed when you don't tell them what your doing?
Commonly accepted that while informed consent is a great thing to give, it's not always applicable in an emergency situation. Implied consent in an emergency is as good as it gets at times.

When was the last time you were in school or did any reading on the subject? This isn't the 90s. A paper bag or NRB reduces their available o2 and increase their anxiety... :rolleyes: I agree with coaching the pt as Aidey said.

The paper-bag idea is based around the thought process of ceasing corpal-pedal spasms by re-introducing CO2, which when a panic attack stricken patient starts having cramps in their hands and feet and they don't know why, that sure as hell will up their anxiety.

It's not a 'wrong' idea, but you have to do it right.

Honestly, the best thing to do is moderate-flow O2 via a simple face mask (If you can be sure this is purely panic-attack induced hyperventilation)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I understand the concept around the paper bag. My argument is that if it was still considered as a good treatment it would still be tough, but it isn't. It is taught as a big no-no in these types of emergencies.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I understand the concept around the paper bag. My argument is that if it was still considered as a good treatment it would still be tough, but it isn't. It is taught as a big no-no in these types of emergencies.

Not because it doesn't work, but because they don't want someone seeing hyperventilation, thinking it's nothing more than a panic attack, giving them a paper bag and looking for a refusal, when as you know, there are quite a few true emergencies that can cause hyperventilation (MI, for example)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not because it doesn't work, but because they don't want someone seeing hyperventilation, thinking it's nothing more than a panic attack, giving them a paper bag and looking for a refusal, when as you know, there are quite a few true emergencies that can cause hyperventilation (MI, for example)

Thanks for the clarification.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

INFORMED consent....how is that informed when you don't tell them what your doing? I do treat the PATIENT and adhere to their rights as a PATIENT. You may receiver orders from an MD but you are a PATIENT advocate and have the right to refuse their orders with the PATIENT's best interest in mind.

Apparently you need to go back to school to review patient consent. Don't call me out like that, I know there are people here who will support me and my statements.

Your statement was fine I think it's your delivery that was the problem. Jumping down someones throat is a poor way of getting your point across. Educate don't berate. The purpose of this forum is to share ideas and knowledge. Knowledge is a tool not a weapon.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Your statement was fine I think it's your delivery that was the problem. Jumping down someones throat is a poor way of getting your point across. Educate don't berate. The purpose of this forum is to share ideas and knowledge. Knowledge is a tool not a weapon.

My apologies. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

FFEMT427

Forum Probie
If you look at this PT's presentation with hot skin rapid RR dilated pupils muscle movements sounds it may have been sympathomimetic overdose ( our patients lie to us....shocking) or even a panic attack either way lil ativan would probably help. If it is self induced hyperventilation then when the pt. gets tired he will slow down either way the use of paperbag therapy has been eliminated(as far as I know) in the prehospital ring and I thought the same was true in-hospital as well. As for the reason it was removed it does'nt fix the problem and causes adverse reactions like death. As for the switch to the NRB that is not hooked up the people who died by paperbag therapy did not die of paperbag toxicity they died because they were therapeutically smothered. Either way the recomendation's (from people alot smarter than me) speak for themselves

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
We don't have protocols for treating anxiety and I am not sure how appropriate it would be, if at all, to ask a physician for such an order. I was really leaning towards a panic attack, I did try a duoneb for the wheezing it didn't help so I stopped treatment. SpO2 was always 98%+.

I realize patients don't always tell the truth, this guy definitely had meth mouth.