[Totally unrelated to EMS] - AR-15 quirk

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I have an AR-15 (yes, it's California legal) and the sear isn't resetting properly after I fire off a few rounds. The bolt works ok, the gas tube is cleaned, and it dry fires just fine. The brand of ammo doesn't seem to matter either. It's an internal quirk somewhere that I can't put my finger on.

I know a few of you guys are former/current military or LEO - have any of you ever run into something like that? I cleaned the stuffing out of it, but it's driving me insane! :|

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If you can navigate through the site, you might try AR15.com

para82frame

Forum Probie
Is the sear face smooth as glass like it should be? I would take it to a COMPETENT gun smith and have the sear face matched up. (the resson you need a COMPETENT gun smith is that if it is done wrong it will fire uncontrollably)

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
ffemt8978 said:
If you can navigate through the site, you might try AR15.com

Oh, I forgot to mention that I've been there. heh. I got a few good takedown diagrams, but nothing in the forums matched my issue. I'm somewhat hesitant to sign up there and ask. I've seen too many people ask simple questions and get 50 replies saying "give it away, you damn n00b!" and no actual useful answers. heh.

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
para82frame said:
Is the sear face smooth as glass like it should be? I would take it to a COMPETENT gun smith and have the sear face matched up. (the resson you need a COMPETENT gun smith is that if it is done wrong it will fire uncontrollably)

Hrm, haven't looked that closely at it. I'll try to take a look, and maybe snap a few photos. I'm moving to a new apartment this week, so I'm gonna be kind of busy.

First chance I get, I'll take it apart. :D

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
fm_emt said:
Oh, I forgot to mention that I've been there. heh. I got a few good takedown diagrams, but nothing in the forums matched my issue. I'm somewhat hesitant to sign up there and ask. I've seen too many people ask simple questions and get 50 replies saying "give it away, you damn n00b!" and no actual useful answers. heh.

Sent you a PM with another link.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Sounds like a weak buffer spring, or one that is too strong. Does the issue replicate itself with dry-firing?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Apparently so. I only just now noticed the date lol.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Apparently so. I only just now noticed the date lol.

229.jpg