To transport or not to transport

Angel

Paramedic
What would you do? In a pedi arrest I know what I THINK i'd do, but I've havent had to make that decision yet. And on the same foot about allowing family in the back in these situations.

Situation dependent, but in general if they aren't causing a scene or getting in the way (on codes) and the driver is fine with it, i dont mind if they ride up front. In the back they'll just get in the way (sprinters).

curious on what everyone else thinks and why

article that prompted this question: http://www.ems1.com/ems-advocacy/articles/1992751-Why-EMS-should-put-compassion-before-protocols/

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have to get base orders to stop working a pedi arrest (we can't even intubate them in my county). So that means we will be transporting them unless it is an obvious death.

As for family going with us its up in the air. I can't just say yes or no.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
On the few pedi arrests I've made, they've all been called in the field. They've also all been borderline doa anyway, though. I've been lucky in that in five years, I think I've only had four pedi arrests.

ETA: I'd have no problem with a family member in front. As for one in back, that would be very situation dependent.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'd be very leery about letting anyone ride the cab of the ambulance. Ever. Let LE bring them. What if they become irrational, or if they* murdered the kid? Or they decide you need to go to another hospital?

Coded kids are sad but they are the fraction who, if they truly need CPR, are most likely to recover because of it; their hearts are not physiologically dead yet from CAD, drug overdose, trauma (*see above), etc. like most of us adults.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In some ways, I'm on the same page as mycrofft is. That being said, this is a very situationally-dependent deal. I've had a family member of the patient ride up front or (very rarely) in the back because it was the right thing to do at that time for that particular set of circumstances. I'm not going to have a hard and fast rule about this particular subject because sometimes when you're taking care of the family, you're taking care of the patient too.

I should point out that should you choose to NOT take the family member with the patient, at least leave them some way to be able to find out where you went in the event you have to divert from your planned destination.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
Generally, we don't let anyone ride in the rig unless it's a minor or some exigent circumstance. As stated above, it would be very situation dependent, a hysterical parent, though compassion would let me like to take them with, reality dictates that they should go with SO or family.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
In general, to respond to the first half, I would stay on scene and begin immediate CPR. Remaining on scene provide more area and more stable surfaces. Remaining on scene (within reason) can result in a higher ROSC. If there is no chance in survival, call it. I do not believe in "comfort CPR." As for family riding, I would normally allow a family member in the back, only if the patient is a minor or having the family member in the back could benefit the patient. We allow one family member in the cab, assuming they are older than 18. In the event of a cardiac arrest, nobody other EMS personnel is in the back, regardless of pediatric or adult.

With that said, my general response is, treat the patient. Everyone freaks out over kids, but everyone requires equal and quality treatment.

mycrofft

In some ways, I'm on the same page as mycrofft is. That being said, this is a very situationally-dependent deal. I've had a family member of the patient ride up front or (very rarely) in the back because it was the right thing to do at that time for that particular set of circumstances. I'm not going to have a hard and fast rule about this particular subject because sometimes when you're taking care of the family, you're taking care of the patient too.

I should point out that should you choose to NOT take the family member with the patient, at least leave them some way to be able to find out where you went in the event you have to divert from your planned destination.

Affirmative!

mycrofft

Transported a family injured by a drunk driver in our Cadillac ambulance from the scene…with the drunk driver unconcsious in full spinal precaution. Good thing the light was really bad, those big farm brothers wanted to kill that guy.