Tips for holding c spine?

Stingray91

Forum Crew Member
Quick question from a newbie here :unsure:..

Do you guys have any tips for how to position your body while holding c spine?
We're basically doing practicals until the State which is next month and a lot of students are having a hard time with getting a good position with their body on the floor while holding c spine.
For example, Trauma pt. is supine; the person at the head (holding c spine) is kneeling the whole time. This would be a "good" position so a decent log roll can be done, but this causes discomfort for a lot of the students' knees. One more example would be sitting down with the legs crossed (indian style) which is more comfortable than kneeling, but not such a good position to be in to do a log roll.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do what's most comfortable for you, so long as you can still do what's required.

Standing, kneeling, laying down, bending over, sitting backwards.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Do what's most comfortable for you, so long as you can still do what's required.

Standing, kneeling, laying down, bending over, sitting backwards.

This.

I find that sitting back on my feet while kneeling is comfortable enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikie

Forum Lurker
If if wasn't a state test, i'd say use your knees/thighs if you're going to be down for a while, plus you can maintain the airway (to some degree)

edit: just don't get too close, for sexual assault purposes..

Last edited by a moderator:

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
couldn't you kind of hold their head between your knee caps, while kneeling?

that way your hands are free if needed.

In Maryland that is an instant fail.

Also, no one should be sitting Indian-style (on their but with legs crossed/under them) while holding C-spine, or pretty much any time while on a call. You have no leverage to do anything useful, and you can't move quickly if the situation requires it. Similar to people keeping stethoscopes around their neck (she would grab it and drag you around), if my instructor saw a student sitting like that she would push you down and point out why it was a bad idea.

There is a heck of a lot of kneeling involved in this job, especially during class. They need to toughen up a little bit, and if anything, the primary provider needs to get better at their rapid trauma assessment to minimize scene time.

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant

Also, no one should be sitting Indian-style (on their but with legs crossed/under them) while holding C-spine, or pretty much any time while on a call. You have no leverage to do anything useful, and you can't move quickly if the situation requires it. Similar to people keeping stethoscopes around their neck (she would grab it and drag you around), if my instructor saw a student sitting like that she would push you down and point out why it was a bad idea.

There is a heck of a lot of kneeling involved in this job, especially during class. They need to toughen up a little bit, and if anything, the primary provider needs to get better at their rapid trauma assessment to minimize scene time.

why?

the same way that you could hold a jaw thrust type maneuver with you knees while bagging if need be?

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
couldn't you kind of hold their head between your knee caps, while kneeling?

that way your hands are free if needed.

I would have been tossed out so hard my classmates would have a real trauma scenario to work with.

I like the leaning back on my feet squatting which I believe someone said. And I sometimes place my arms between my knees for even more stabilization. It's about the same comfort wise as kneeling but I have a little bit more free movement of my body (knees aren't stuck to the ground) if someone needs to get around me. Great strength training for your calf muscles too!

mikie

Forum Lurker

Though like i said in my previous post, I wouldn't advocate it for the state test, but how would it be considered a Significant Action (not "instant fail" in MD), provided the student maintains inline stabilization without compromising c-spine...no where on the testing sheet does it say the hands must be used to take c-spine

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
If that is considered an instant fail then I guess I've been a loser the past 10 years. How do you expect to manage the airway and maintain C-Spine? Or do you just get one or the other? Hmm...decisions decisions...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
why?

the same way that you could hold a jaw thrust type maneuver with you knees while bagging if need be?

Err how do you plan on log rolling someone with your knees? Also I'm sure the conscious patient will love having you place their head between your legs :blink:.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
If that is considered an instant fail then I guess I've been a loser the past 10 years. How do you expect to manage the airway and maintain C-Spine? Or do you just get one or the other? Hmm...decisions decisions...

Real world? Obviously you do what you need to do. We all know that c-spine precautions aren't needed probably 98% of the time they're used, but it's pretty difficult to make that call in the field (and highly inadvisable).

The OP is a student preparing for his state exam, so I don't want to give him any advice that could fail him. I don't have a background as a MIEMSS/MFRI evaluator, but my class was told by ours that removing a hand or using your knees was considered an SA because you stopped maintaining c-spine precautions. You have a problem with the way EMT testing is done - and I'm sure we all have several valid complaints - take it up with those who can help. Don't give potentially bad advice to a student.

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant
Err how do you plan on log rolling someone with your knees? Also I'm sure the conscious patient will love having you place their head between your legs :blink:.

geez im not saying you have to straddle them.:blink:

and you could easily place your hands between or over your knees and transfer c-spine to yourself, same as if you were transfering c spine to another EMT

Adapt, improvise and overcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Airway takes priority. What's the point of maintaining c-spine if your patient isn't breathing?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Look at the state's check off list. It should have a list of critical criteria. Study those critical criteria. DON'T DO THOSE! Otherwise, do whatever's comfortable.

Not rocket science.