Time Between Application & Available to Work Date

DavidM

Forum Probie
I'm a 20 year old college student and EMT-B. This summer I was hoping to leave the mind-dulling world of retail and actually work in EMS. At that point I'll have over a year of full-time (40-55 hours a week & 15-20 calls a week) volunteer ambulance experience from the agency near my school. Although I'll still be a little wet behind the ears I wouldn't be coming in as a complete rookie.

I know the biggest thing potentially holding me back from getting a job would be the limited time I could work. I only have summer break from early May to mid-August meaning I could only make a 3.5-4 month commitment. But I have heard of people pulling this off so I'm hopeful an agency will give me a shot.

I was wondering you you guys though it would be acceptable for me to apply to the various agencies before/during my spring beak (mid-march) or would that be too early. If I applied then there would be ~4-6 weeks between my application and available-to-work date. I go to school 4 hours from home so I would be able to travel back for any interviews or examinations in the intervening time. Applying earlier would mean that I could work for the entirety of my summer rather than spending the first bit going through the hiring process.

Thanks so much

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You've got nothing to loose by trying.

Some places might even keep you on the rolls as a PRN employee year round. If you're able to work Christmas, for example, it would be another good thing for you.