Tidal Volume

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
OK, we were given the formula:
breaths per min * Volume (500ml) - Dead Air Space (150ml) = Tidal Volume.

I understand the equation given normal quality breaths. My assumptions are that the 500ml and 150ml are normal adult volumes. So to extrapolate, with an adult only taking roughly half breaths, I would use 250ml for volume.
Ex: 25*250-150=6100ml of tidal volume. and can be compaired to Normal rate and volume like 16*500-150=7850ml of tidal volume.

I also assume that Volume and dead air space would be different for children and infants. Are they different for the elderly?

No, I am not trying to get you to do my homework, just making sure I understand the material.

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
i think you are asking about minute volume

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That equation is minute volume, or the amount of air exchanged in one minutes time.

Tidal volume is the volume of air moved in one breath... ~500cc for the average adult male.

OP
OP
ihalterman

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
OK.

Given that the term "Tidal volume" is wrong, Are my basic assumptions and theories correct?

8jimi8

CFRN
infants and children have smaller tidal volumes. Obviously this is based on the patient's anatomy.

just because you get old doesn't mean your lungs shrink!

Compliance may be different depending on the etiology of the patient's respiratory problems.

What is your specific question?

OP
OP
ihalterman

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
You answered it. :)

Just for giggles, here is the slide from the lecture showing the above as tidal volume

Attachments

• Tidal_Volume_Slide.jpg
    Tidal_Volume_Slide.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 737

8jimi8

CFRN
Don't you love being more educated than your teachers!