Thinking of going 911

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
I have been working BLS IFT for a while now and thinking about going 911. I pretty much know the location of every hospital’s ER bays and I know I will do well in 911. The only question is should I quit my current job and then apply for another or keep my current job while applying to a 911 company?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It’d easier to get a job when you have a job. And why would you quit without having another job to go to?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why on earth would you quit a job without having another one lined up? Unless you have tons of extra money to possibly be unemployed for a while.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Depends where you are

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I have been working BLS IFT for a while now and thinking about going 911. I pretty much know the location of every hospital’s ER bays and I know I will do well in 911. The only question is should I quit my current job and then apply for another or keep my current job while applying to a 911 company?

Undo this line of thinking. I don't care if you've been working in your job for 10 years. The world of 911 is vastly different than IFT, especially BLS IFT. IFT and 911 are completely different. Some of your experience will transfer over and some things will challenge you in new ways.

MTIyMzI2OTI5NTc4NjgzNjcz.jpg

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have been working BLS IFT for a while now and thinking about going 911. I pretty much know the location of every hospital’s ER bays and I know I will do well in 911.
there is a little bit more to 911 than knowing the location of the ER bays. In fact, I have been to hospitals on 911 where the first time I saw that ER was on the call (and another time drove around the hospital trying to find the stupidly labeled ER entrance).
The only question is should I quit my current job and then apply for another or keep my current job while applying to a 911 company?

If you are asking this question, than I seriously question if you belong in EMS at all.

Last edited:

Kevinf

Forum Captain

iExposeDeformities

Forum Crew Member
You’re probably that dude that sees asystole on the monitor and yells “I’m clear, you’re clear, we’re all clear”

Drax

Forum Captain

I would recommend you continue working as you apply to 911 gigs. A gap in your employment history doesn't look great and if you're off the line for a long period of time, you may have to do a significant amount of retraining. Also, and I don't know how long you've been doing this, but if it is for something like...a year, if it takes you a year to get hired, you would have two years experience instead of just the one. That can affect the wage you're offered, plus a competing agency might give you additional incentive if they realize you're willing to leave one of their rivals.