Thinking about advancing to ALS...

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
So, I've been an EMT now for almost 6 years. Obviously I'm a career dispatcher, but I've been toying with attending local community college for an ALS program. The end goal would be to pickup some side shifts, and advance myself personally.

The problem:
I run with a fire department where we essentially run as first responders, and waste what little skills basics have. On top of that I honestly haven't had a EMS gig riding a rig... I have the patient contacts required to get in to a program, but I'd have to say they weren't quality contacts.

I'm a college educated, detail oriented, and made the mistake of going to grad school instead of switching to nursing.

Should I hang up the idea? Try to find an IFT gig on the side to get more field experience? Or any other thoughts?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
So, I've been an EMT now for almost 6 years. Obviously I'm a career dispatcher, but I've been toying with attending local community college for an ALS program. The end goal would be to pickup some side shifts, and advance myself personally.

The problem:
I run with a fire department where we essentially run as first responders, and waste what little skills basics have. On top of that I honestly haven't had a EMS gig riding a rig... I have the patient contacts required to get in to a program, but I'd have to say they weren't quality contacts.

I'm a college educated, detail oriented, and made the mistake of going to grad school instead of switching to nursing.

Should I hang up the idea? Try to find an IFT gig on the side to get more field experience? Or any other thoughts?
maybe AEMT to get some ALS contacts but not be the "head honcho" and then go up to medic from there?

OP
OP
EMDispatch

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
maybe AEMT to get some ALS contacts but not be the "head honcho" and then go up to medic from there?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I say go big, or go home but @NysEms2117's idea is pretty good, too.

Seriously, you seem smart enough good luck.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
do you want to be a medic for the rest of your life? for that matter, do you want to be a dispatcher?

If you went to grad school, and assuming you graduated with a masters, what made you go into comms?

If you want to be a paramedic, than you need to be a full time paramedic to be halfway decent. Just doing it on the side, with no full time experience, is doing a disservice to both your patients and all the time you spent in medic school.

Maybe you should try to get a FT job on an ambulance, either an IFT or 911 truck. That way you can get some experience as a provider, can speak to some existing providers as to what their opinions are regarding becoming a medic, and see if you would enjoy working on the ambulance. and get some extra $$$ on the side.

OP
OP
EMDispatch

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
ABT from grad school in a field I wasn't totally into. Which also ended up lacking the career style I wanted, but it was close to my wife.

I ended up in comms because I had always had an interest. My preferred position would still be emergency manager, but around here the old guard won't retire, they're going to die in their spots.

I see the point about just doing it part time, and the last I want to do is be a crap provider. I'm toying with the idea of a career shift, because of the usual comms bs; understaffed, politics, and more with less.

Thanks for the insight so far guys, I appreciate it.