Things for my trauma bag.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Over the past couple months I've decided to build a trauma bag I've collected things here and there bought a couple things and think I'm almost done I don't want anything fancy I just want a bag to carry in my car (once i get my drivers license ) incase I come across something. So far I have this in the kit.
3 kerlix rolls
2H&h compressed gauze rolls
1 z pak dressing
5 4 inch gauze rolls
1 25 g quick clot sport
1 50 g quickclot sport sponge
1 tornaquet
1 2g celox powder
5 8*10 gauze pads 5 5*9
1 set of opas
Lots of gauzepads and bandaidss
25 ml of iodine
500 ml of hydrogen peroxide
Lots of bzk and alcohol wipes
Gloves
Penlight
Stethscope
Pocket mask
Emergency blanket
1 Sam splint instant ice packs on instant heat pack
A couple triangle. Bandages
Some ace wrap
Tape (lots)
Some pressure dressings
any more things you thing I should add?

JPINFV

Gadfly
All you need is..

first-aid-kit.jpg

+
a few more of
instant+ice+pack.jpg

+
Vet%20Wrap%20Blue.jpg

(because vet wrap is cheaper and comes in more colors)
+
cellphone.gif

(fun fact, cell phones don't need a SIM card to call 911. Similarly a land line doesn't need actual service to call 911 either).

...and you now have a basic first aid kit that you're much more likely to use on your friends while playing sports or your family than anything you actually come across.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
All you need is..

first-aid-kit.jpg

+1.

Remember if you are responding off-work, you're responding as a private citizen, not an EMS professional. You don't have medical direction which means the majority of your scope is not available to you. All you need is a basic first aid kit because all you'll be doing is basic first aid. (Albeit hopefully at an expert level.) Anything else could be construed as assault.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Believe it or not, check out a 99cent store for the majority of what will be in your bag. I get almost all of my resupply there for my sports gig, I usually end up with some money left over from my restocking fee

JPINFV

Gadfly
+1.

Remember if you are responding off-work, you're responding as a private citizen, not an EMS professional. You don't have medical direction which means the majority of your scope is not available to you. All you need is a basic first aid kit because all you'll be doing is basic first aid. (Albeit hopefully at an expert level.) Anything else could be construed as assault.

Well, the most part of an EMT's scope of practice is basic first aid anyways. It's not like triangle bandages require anything special to order.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, the most part of an EMT's scope of practice is basic first aid anyways. It's not like triangle bandages require anything special to order.

Ah yes, sorry. I'm thinking Canadian EMT, which has a significantly wider scope. ^_^

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you're going to carry a stethoscope, you might as well have a BP cuff as well. Alternatively remember that a "trauma bag" is known to the rest of the world as a first aid kit, only the gauze pads are bigger. The smaller the bigger, the odds of coming across something requiring all those supplies is rather small.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
+1.

You are also protected in most places by hold harmless and good samaritan laws. Used you are doing something really stupid, or you are acting without consent, your fine.

I carry a small bag in my truck. Just enough to patch up some boo-boos while camping, gloves and a steth. I figure there is very little that I can pack in a bag that will make any difference at an MVA I happen upon.
I do have a larger bag that I take camping that is fairly complete.

leoemt

Forum Captain
I agree with the other posters on here, you don't need much. I was given a small "trauma kit" as a graduation present and its nothing more than a first aid kit with more bandages (though I love the bag). Personally for me I don't want to stop when I am not working - there is too much legal liability plus I don't want to be a witness to anything. I got enough court when I was a cop. Best thing to do is call 911. Not to say I wouldn't help someone if they truly needed it but my help would be at the level of the lay person not as an EMT.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Dump the Celox powder. Seriously. They pulled it from us because it was giving some people Celox embolisms.

A lot of bleeding control depends on what you can do with your own two hands.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
Seriously. Go to CVS, Walmart, any big box store and buy a basic first aid kit. Add another or two coldpaks and a box of gauze pads and some decent tape. I got a bottle of ibuprofen and a thermometer for personal and girlfriend use. I also carry my pocket mask in the car. Also gloves would probably be good.

But I've been certified as an EMR or EMT for about a year and a half now and I have yet to find a use other than minor scrapes or bruises for my friends or coworkers. The best tool you have is your cellphone which will connect to 911 anywhere there is any kind of cell service. Do a good scene size up, let a dispatcher know what's going on number of pts, environamentals, anything you can see, and then stay safe.