Thin Red line question

mtlmedic93

Forum Ride Along
Hi all...awesome site..glad to have found it!

I was looking to start up an interesting conversation regarding the things line patches. The "Thin Red line" in EMS was first used for Fire (according to the Internet). I am aware of the "Thin White line", for EMS but it appears as though red line patches are being sold now inclusively in an attempt to represent fire and medics (unless this is just a marketing ploy or misinformation by the sellers). Is there anyone here who wears thin red line patches for both fire and medics (seeing as some of you may be firefighter paramedics)?

Looking forward to an interesting Discussion!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Hi all...awesome site..glad to have found it!

I was looking to start up an interesting conversation regarding the things line patches. The "Thin Red line" in EMS was first used for Fire (according to the Internet). I am aware of the "Thin White line", for EMS but it appears as though red line patches are being sold now inclusively in an attempt to represent fire and medics (unless this is just a marketing ploy or misinformation by the sellers). Is there anyone here who wears thin red line patches for both fire and medics (seeing as some of you may be firefighter paramedics)?

Looking forward to an interesting Discussion!
its a marketing thing. I am an LEO so I think my fiance has a thin blue line tshirt. I only wear something along the support our LEO's if somebody i know gets hurt, or an officer in my state dies. It really just puts a target on yourself. Idk for red line, or white line. Personally when i work EMS, i am an average joe, with a watch, shirt, pants, no necklaces or bracelets, or anything like that.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I had never heard of the "red", or "white" line. The "blue line" I'd heard of over the past few years given the unfortunate increasing attacks on LEO's throughout the country.

I don't see myself supporting an EMS geared marketing ploy such as this, especially fire-based EMS ploys (now if you want an interesting discussion search the forum for fire-based vs. non-fire based EMS delivery models). That's just me, if it's your thing, cool.

Op, if you're interested in supporting a much needed EMS cause that definitely goes unnoticed, here's one much less known, and glamorous, but much more meaningful than any patch color saying "I support my brothers"...
http://www.nnaemsa.org/

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Op, if you're interested in supporting a much needed EMS cause that definitely goes unnoticed, here's one much less known, and glamorous, but much more meaningful than any patch color saying "I support my brothers"...
http://www.nnaemsa.org/
Now that is quite the interesting cause!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It's just an unofficial moral patch that means whatever you want it to mean, basically a cloth version of a bumper sticker.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I know several firefighters that have a thin red line on their wedding band (I have a latex one when I am on shift), and I wear a paracord bracelet with a thin red line when I am off duty. A buddy of mine's daughter made if for me, so I had no problem giving her $10 for it.

For full disclosure, I also wore a paracord bracelet with the thin gold line sandwiched between red and white when I worked full time in communications. for those that don't know, gold is used for communications. If you want to see what others use, check out these links: http://emtgin.tumblr.com/thin-line & http://www.paracordforum.com/The-Thin-Line-Series-of-Bracelets.html

You know, as much as we complain about how EMS lacks uniformity, lacks any sense of brotherhood, eats its young, etc, certain groups have found something to use as a symbol of uniformity. I'm not saying you should wear a "paramedics do the same things as doctors by at 60mph", but a subdued sign that you are proud of what you do, as well as to show respect to those who have lost their lives in the line of duty? I'm ok with that.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Or if you want to support something that's got a color in it, how about www.codegreencampaign.com

The only healthcare related sticker on my car is the "thin green line" sticker from the Code Green Campaign (with the exception of parking passes for my job). People familiar with the cause will recognize it, everybody else will have no idea what it means which is good. Doesn't brag about what I do or draw any attention to me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I only started hearing about the "thin lines" maybe the middle of this year. I have a thin blue line patch on a personal bag that I put inside the ambulance (I call it my Ricky bag) and then a decal on my computer but these are both due to very personal reasons. I do not have any white (EMS), yellow (dispatchers I believe), and red (fire).