The Stat Glucose that killed!

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
OK guys, I want to start this out by saying that this could only happen to me! While I am in school, I left my job at the Internal Medicine office and started doing phlebotomy at the hospital on second shift. You won't believe this stuff.....

It's around four o'clock in the afternoon, (today) and I get a call in the lab to come and draw a stat glucose on a patient.
I get to the room, and this poor patient has NO veins! He has sores on his arms, and I don't wanna torture him. I decide to do a finger stick and just fill a Peds Chem tube. I tell the patient what I am about to do. He just looks at me and puts his head back down, so I get to work! I get about two or three drops in the tube....and then nothing. I look up at the patient, just to discover, that while I am busy trying to milk blood from his finger, he has expired!!! I can't make this stuff up! I will refuse a stat glucose next time! LOL :blush:

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
LMAO!!! Only you dear, only you! Thats so awesome, I know dub thee: 007! I always knew you had the special touch!:p
Well at least you said a prayer for him...May he rest in peace.

OP
OP
willbeflight

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
LMAO!!! Only you dear, only you! Thats so awesome, I know dub thee: 007! I always knew you had the special touch!:p
Well at least you said a prayer for him...May he rest in peace.

I know!! Bless his heart! He was a sick one. :sad: But, only me!! :rolleyes:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Didn't they have him on a monitor or anything?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Not all patients are put on telemetry or monitors.

All ER's here put every pt on a 5 lead, Auto BP, and O2sat no matter what, even the BS pt's.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...and go an hour north to OC and not all patients in the ER get a monitor (BP cuff and pulse ox, yes. 3-5 lead [hospital dependent], no).

Sasha

Forum Chief
All ER's here put every pt on a 5 lead, Auto BP, and O2sat no matter what, even the BS pt's.

Where did it say he was in the ER?

Sucks for you, OP, you must have the touch of death!

OP
OP
willbeflight

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
Where did it say he was in the ER?

Sucks for you, OP, you must have the touch of death!

OK, he was on the general surgery floor. No telemetery. He was there as EOL issues anyway and had a DNR. I could not believe the crappy timing of that!! I haven't killed anyone else!! :blush:

Buzz

Forum Captain
For some reason this story reminds me of the X-Men comics... Rogue...

Perhaps you have discovered your mutant power. :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ummm.....yeah.....YET! :p

Sorry to hear about that, but it's not like you really killed him, you just happened to be there.

He just happened to die while you were stabbing him with a lancet...

Like the patient just happened to go into asystole right as you pushed a drug... :p

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If a finger lancet did that...

Imagine if you'd tried a lumbar puncture?

What!?:unsure:

OP
OP
willbeflight

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
For some reason this story reminds me of the X-Men comics... Rogue...

Perhaps you have discovered your mutant power. :p

hmmmm, that a thought!! :)

OP
OP
willbeflight

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
He just happened to die while you were stabbing him with a lancet...

Like the patient just happened to go into asystole right as you pushed a drug... :p

I think the two are totally different. :p

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We have discovered the fatal "CHI" point

of acupuncture.:ph34r:

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
If I have to go to the hospital over that way I am going to ask the lab tech if they are on EMT LIFE before they do a finger :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: on me. But seriously sorry to hear that. Just remember the fact is in this business we are going to see people die. Always keep in mind we do not make the decision on when it is somebody's time. All we can do is keep on doing our best.