The Human body through the eyes of a tradesman.

LG1ALBERTA

Forum Ride Along
Hello fellow medics,

I am originally a journeyman plumber/ gas-fitter but I am going to be going for my new career path towards becoming a paramedic this September. But to try and give myself a slight upper hand I have already been studying Human A+P for close to an hour almost every day since April 2018.

Since I have been studying, I have started to realize that our bodies are just a complex plumbing system.

Let me give you my view, please be considerate as I am still learning, but trying to simplify it.

All buildings are built on a solid foundation to support all of that weight and framed to hold up the entire structure of the building. Obviously this is the purpose of the Skeletal System with 206 bones total and can be further broken down into the Axial Skeleton (80 bones) ( Skull, Vertebral Spinal Column, Ribs and Sternum) which support and protect the upper body, and the Appendicular Skeleton ( 64 bones in the upper and 62 lower) which supports the shoulders, arms, wrists, hands, hips, legs, ankles and feet.

Pretty much all buildings have some form of a piping system running through it that supply water to different areas of the building, and then returns it to be recycled through that system with the use of pumps. This is like the Cardiovascular System in the body, with Arteries being the main supply piping within the body and supplying oxygenated blood out to the rest of the body so it functions and then branching off to each specific area of the building ( body ), and then once it reaches the end of the system it returns back to the main pump/s ( the Heart) through the return piping which are the Veins. And its a continuous supply and return system that is efficient.

I won't bore you all with comparing the other body systems with other trades related views, but the Cardiovascular System and Skeletal System was the ones I thought would be the one to really stump me, as there is a lot to remember in these systems. But I started viewing it as a complex plumbing system and relating it to construction systems (plumbing, electrical, etc) and now I actually understand it a lot better.

Hope you all enjoyed reading this and I look forward to my new journey.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic