The good ole, Vanbulance.

EMTIsee

Forum Crew Member
I will say it I hate the van ambulances. The other day as I was covering a shift. For a neighboring town. Now this service only has vans. The ambulances are brand new, so not all bad. That day I was working in the back. You have the ability to work in the back all day, drive, or rotate. The reason is this is only a BLS service. Moving on that day I was in the back. after spending all day back there. I was glad to go back to the big box. How many of you have ever had; the enjoyment. Of running in a vanbulance?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
the enjoyment. Of running in a vanbulance?

Does not compute.

No one likes vanbulances. Sprinters aren't too bad as far as room to work but certainly are just as uncomfortable as any other type 2.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I am fine working in the vans with no issues at all.

All of our units are type IIs aside from our CCT unit.

All of my time for medic internship is on a type II. My preceptor is a rather large guy and we can move around in the back with no issues.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Actually type 2 vans are my favorite type to run 911 in. I can reach most things while belted in and I know where my gear is and can reach it efficiently

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I never did mind doing 911 or IFT work in the Type II vans. The only time I wasn't so happy with them was when I had to run a call or two with a transplant team. That got a bit cramped in the back. For CCT or those darned transplant team runs, I much preferred larger ambulances.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

LightItUp98

Forum Probie
This reminds me of the kid from malcom in the middle...
I...*breath*...also...*breath*...had...*breath*...no problems...*breath*...with space...*breath*...while working...*breath*...in the type II's..............*breath*.....

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I think part of the problem is most type IIs have horrible design. There are designs for sprinters whereby you can access the patient from 3 sides (head and both arms).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This reminds me of the kid from malcom in the middle...
I...*breath*...also...*breath*...had...*breath*...no problems...*breath*...with space...*breath*...while working...*breath*...in the type II's..............*breath*.....
I was actually picturing good ole Bill Shatner lol

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think I just had a stroke reading all of that.

We have a 4x4 Type II that is alright, I don't particularly like seeing the ground through the cab floor (rubber gaskets went bye bye) but aside from that it's ok. I'm tall enough that I can't even come close to standing any rig, no matter the type.

OP
OP
E

EMTIsee

Forum Crew Member
I think I just had a stroke reading all of that.

We have a 4x4 Type II that is alright, I don't particularly like seeing the ground through the cab floor (rubber gaskets went bye bye) but aside from that it's ok. I'm tall enough that I can't even come close to standing any rig, no matter the type.
At least hearses and station wagons aren't still in use.

Angel

Paramedic
I prefer vans and sprinters to boxes most of the time. Mostly because I hate driving them. But space wise, in the sprinter hasn't been an issue YET. But having a CPR seat is nice. And for pts who need IVs in their R arm but that's about it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
At least hearses and station wagons aren't still in use.
I've taken patients out in an SUV and little 6x6s, yea that's not that fun. Well the calls are but getting stuffed in is not.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you ***** about Type IIs, don't tell me you want to be a flight medic.
You mean an Astar doesn't have the same kind of room some of these ground monstrosities does? Damn