the FDNY ems operating guide ?

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Hi FDNY guys,

I am looking to read the ems operating guide, but the only copy of the ems operating guide I can find online is for the Android, and it is a free app, but too bad I have the iphone.

Would anyone have a CD rom of the guide that they can somehow share ?

or maybe a link to a PDF of the book somewhere on the net ?

Thank you all in advance.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
NYC Remac has the NYC guide for both BLS and ALS. Go to the NYC remac website and download the PDF to your phone. Iphone can read it. Its on my Iphone.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
IIRC, the FDNY EMS operating guide is not the same as the NYC protocols, but are FDNY specific and is a book like 8 inches thick ? It has such information if IIRC ... members must wear either a navy blue or white T shirt under the duty shirt, Chiefs must wear a white T shirt, Members must wear a White T shirt with the Class A shirt, and either a white or blue T shirt with the duty shirt, the Job shirt must be worn over the duty shirt, and may not be worn instead of the golf shirt ..... that kinda stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
The person above is correct. What we actually refer to as the ops guide is basically our rules and regulations as employees and is literally a 3" thick binder.

What I believe you are looking for is the "GOP" or general operating procedures.

This can be found at www.nycremsco.org along with the appendices and all FDNY protocols.

If you have an iPhone I highly recommend the app "paramedic protocol provider"

It's $9.99 and is worth it's weight in gold. It provides you with the protocols for over 300 major cities and states word for word copied text along with operating guides and any other available pertinent texts for the area.

Are you a new hire FDNY EMT in the current academy?

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Me? No, I just took the state written 3/15, I have yet to hear about pass/ fail.

but I am REALLY looking for the FDNY EMS OPERATING GUIDE itself. not the GOP or NYC protocols.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
My suggestion is to get from a FDNY EMT or Medic. If your not a FDNY EMT, why would you need their employee rules and regulations?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Me? No, I just took the state written 3/15, I have yet to hear about pass/ fail.

but I am REALLY looking for the FDNY EMS OPERATING GUIDE itself. not the GOP or NYC protocols.

Many agencies do not make their operating guideline public for one reason or another. You might find this to be the case here.

Operations manuals are a boring read, why do you want to know what color undershirt is required for street medics? Does it really matter if you don't work there?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The reason NYMedic and myself mention NYC Remsco is because the GOP applies to everyone operating in NYC reguardless of agency.

The employee manual may not be open to the public necessarily as mentioned but I am sure it is not classified. It just doesn't seem relevant if your not employed by FDNY.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
RE the above three posts: Why do I NEED ? I dont need.

I would like to read it. why ? because it interesting to me. Why do some people collect stamps ? who knows...

Is it open to the public ? YES. see here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...FwcEJ1aWxkZXIuRkROWUVNU09wZXJhdGluZ0d1aWRlIl0.

It is available for free as a download app for android platform, which I do not have.

The stations have it, but it is a part of the intranet, and I am sure they are too busy to have someone sit there all day reading it off their computer. they also have it in book form, two binders approx 5 inches wide a piece. again, Im sure sitting there all day isnt gonna do.

I'll probably read a bit of it here and there as I pop in and out of the station, but I much rather read it over a cup of coffee at home..

im currently reading a part of it, the infection control chapter. It is a fun read, I find it funny that there is a detailed specific way to handle your clothes after someone vomits all over you.

Why all the interest ? Because of one thing, If I am ever to work as an EMT full time, It will be with the FDNY and nobody else. No volly, no voluntary, no er tech, no transports, no nothing... its either FDNY or bust.

I mean like, I know everything is far away, I just finished the EMT-B class this month, Just took the state written exam last week, I dont even know if I passed it or not, but I think I did, I did well in the class.... And of course there is the whole career thinking thing, and dealing with the steps it takes to go apply for work, and I havent researched too deeply, but I heard about a hiring freeze from this guy, and another guy is saying they are hiring left and right... who knows what the future will bring ?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
RE the above three posts: Why do I NEED ? I dont need.

I would like to read it. why ? because it interesting to me. Why do some people collect stamps ? who knows...

Is it open to the public ? YES. see here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...FwcEJ1aWxkZXIuRkROWUVNU09wZXJhdGluZ0d1aWRlIl0.

It is available for free as a download app for android platform, which I do not have.

The stations have it, but it is a part of the intranet, and I am sure they are too busy to have someone sit there all day reading it off their computer. they also have it in book form, two binders approx 5 inches wide a piece. again, Im sure sitting there all day isnt gonna do.

I'll probably read a bit of it here and there as I pop in and out of the station, but I much rather read it over a cup of coffee at home..

im currently reading a part of it, the infection control chapter. It is a fun read, I find it funny that there is a detailed specific way to handle your clothes after someone vomits all over you.

Why all the interest ? Because of one thing, If I am ever to work as an EMT full time, It will be with the FDNY and nobody else. No volly, no voluntary, no er tech, no transports, no nothing... its either FDNY or bust.

I mean like, I know everything is far away, I just finished the EMT-B class this month, Just took the state written exam last week, I dont even know if I passed it or not, but I think I did, I did well in the class.... And of course there is the whole career thinking thing, and dealing with the steps it takes to go apply for work, and I havent researched too deeply, but I heard about a hiring freeze from this guy, and another guy is saying they are hiring left and right... who knows what the future will bring ?

The operating guide grows as people do things, get in trouble for them, and then we make an official rule about it and how to do it in the future.

Idk what on earth would compel you to read the OPs guide. Its been under my bed for 3 years.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The operating guide won't get you hired for FDNY. You learn it in the academy. You will be working for a private service well before FDNY will come calling your name.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I understand many think its boring or what not, but reading this kinda stuff is enjoyable to me. Perhaps im different. I also think the NYPD patrol guide is fun reading. and I rather watch the discovery channel, history channel. etc etc....

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
The operating guide won't get you hired for FDNY. You learn it in the academy. You will be working for a private service well before FDNY will come calling your name.

Oh no I wont ! :) if anything I rather just wait for the fdny, Ive got 37 months before I need that refresher course. :)

and about the book, when I read it, I find myself saying: Man, that is so true ! this makes perfect sense !

I think there is alot to learn from that book that isnt in the protocols we studied in class... It is more in depth, like alot more in depth ! !

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Oh no I wont ! :) if anything I rather just wait for the fdny, Ive got 37 months before I need that refresher course. :)

and about the book, when I read it, I find myself saying: Man, that is so true ! this makes perfect sense !

I think there is alot to learn from that book that isnt in the protocols we studied in class... It is more in depth, like alot more in depth ! !

Sometimes to get to where you want to be, you have to work for it. Don't be afraid of earning your stripes somewhere else first, it's not anything to be ashamed of. It can only help you.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been with FDNY for 3 years now and I havent looked at a single page of the ops guide. Not ever.

They don't go over it in the academy they just give it to you and say "here's a book of things you can and can't do while employed here."

It's a waste of a forest worth of trees.

I never been in question or gotten in trouble for anything in my time with FDNY. Common sense will take you further in life than most things.

By the way if you plan to work for FDNY, I would get in a medic class. By the time you finish medic you won't be hired as an EMT. The wait is up to nearly 2 years now. Medic you can get hired in 6 months.

People will always tell you to get some experience under your belt prior to furthering your education in EMS, which is true but at the same time you can't sit around in life and wait for things to happen. You need to make them happen. Do what you need to do to get where you want to be.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
"By the way if you plan to work for FDNY, I would get in a medic class. By the time you finish medic you won't be hired as an EMT. The wait is up to nearly 2 years now. Medic you can get hired in 6 months."

JAW DROPS ! :eek:

thanks for the tip. I actually had been seriously considering medic school, I even inquired about it at BMCC, LaGardia and the NY Methodist. One fidney guy said to get hired by the FDNY as an emt, and sign up for their own medic class, and that it was FREE, all you need to do is agree to a 3 year minimum service contract....

lots to consider... :)

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Well, so far i have read through the first half of it.. OMFG it is too long! But the MERV section has some cool pics. And did you know EMS gets issued body armor for free? Like what happened to scene safety? Lol.. Body armor my donkey, they even have a tactical outer vest! Like WHY?? Lololol... SIR, im TAKING your vitals!!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I would highly consider working for a private to
get experience for medic school. There are volunteer
places too. Just get experience. Make sure your cut out
for this. It helps in medic school.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
thanks firecoins for the words of advice, I am sure I am cut out for this, I wont be needing any volunteering and etc, I hear they train you when they hire you... bu as for the ops guide, I cant seem to finish reading it all... 1660 pages is just too much. I suppose I will just refer to it if I need to, and just put it under the bed like everyone else seems to...

Cheers !

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
thanks firecoins for the words of advice, I am sure I am cut out for this, I wont be needing any volunteering and etc, I hear they train you when they hire you... bu as for the ops guide, I cant seem to finish reading it all... 1660 pages is just too much. I suppose I will just refer to it if I need to, and just put it under the bed like everyone else seems to...

Cheers !

How can you be sure you are cut out for something if you don't actually you know, do it?