"The 60 Second EMT"

Summit

Critical Crazy
I was at Borders cafe to study biology today.

A lady sat down beside me with an infant and an O2 cylinder (very common at these altitudes or newborns to have O2). My friend hadn't arrived yet so I started going over some scenarios in my head (I do this a lot... is this weird?) and I realized I'd forgotten the #s for normal vitals for infants so off I went to find a book that would tell me.

I saw a book titled "The 60 Second EMT: Rapid BLS/ALS Assessment, Diagnosis & Triage" Here it is on Amazon

It looked kind of interesting...

Any opinions on this book? Worth the read?

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
One thing ive come to discover is that everybody has different things that work for them. I hate alot of Brady books, but my mother loves em. So, it depends on what works for you. Id skim the book, see what kind of infor yer gettin from it and purchase it if it looks good for you. If it turns out not to take it to your service for your coworkers to benefit from it, thats what i do with most of my old books

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The book is one I had on my amazon wishlist when I went through EMT school but never purchased. I can't see myself purchasing it now, but if I ever went back to medic school it would be a definite buy.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit@Feb 27 2005, 09:57 PM
... so I started going over some scenarios in my head (I do this a lot... is this weird?)
No, this is not weird as I'm sure most, if not everyone here, has done it at one point or another. I do it all the time, mostly from a safety/security/emergency response point of view. Why? For the exact reason you did. You saw a baby on O2. What are the normal stats for an infant? What's abnormal? How are you going to know the level of seriousness, in an emergency, if you don't know what is normal?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Book sounds intresting.

Oh, and was the infant on a Nasal, Rebreather, or Non-rebreather (Hopeless whacker :rolleyes: )

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
QUOTE (Summit @ Feb 27 2005, 09:57 PM)
... so I started going over some scenarios in my head (I do this a lot... is this weird?)

No, this is not weird as I'm sure most, if not everyone here, has done it at one point or another. I do it all the time, mostly from a safety/security/emergency response point of view. Why? For the exact reason you did. You saw a baby on O2. What are the normal stats for an infant? What's abnormal? How are you going to know the level of seriousness, in an emergency, if you don't know what is normal?

Ditto here, I do that and I still go over my trauma/medical assessment sheets from EMT class from memory. I bet I could still get a perfect on the practicals if I had to take them again (NOT that I want to)

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Summit@Feb 28 2005, 12:57 AM
I started going over some scenarios in my head (I do this a lot... is this weird?)
whew. glad i'm not the only one! :)

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
I have been doing patient assessments in my head recently. I am only halfway thru the EMT program but everything I have learned so far I have been thinking about. I think about it while I am driving to work, at work, driving home, in the shower, before going to sleep...

Is that sick or what? This must be what they are talking about that it will consume my life.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
EMTstudent, don't feel bad, those are pretty much the exact same times I do them.

Maybe we're both sick!

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Feb 28 2005, 12:49 PM
Book sounds intresting.

Oh, and was the infant on a Nasal, Rebreather, or Non-rebreather (Hopeless whacker :rolleyes: )

Jon
NC

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTstudent@Mar 1 2005, 09:55 AM
NC as "Casal cannula" or "No comment"? :lol: :p
sad part is, you asked the same question I would ;)

Jon

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Mar 1 2005, 02:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Mar 1 2005, 02:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EMTstudent@Mar 1 2005, 09:55 AM
sad part is, you asked the same question I would ;)

Jon [/b][/quote]
LOL

That's bad! I am only halfway thru this class and already I am thinking like you... I guess I am stuck here!!! :p

emtbuff

Forum Captain
As to all of you that think you have gone crazy with going through pt assessments in your head when you see something like a baby on O2. I would have to say that it is a well learned trait for EMS providers to do. As I know I can be driving along see some one weaving on the road but not overly bad. I will think to my self now if he goes off and flips what is the first thing to do and so forth. I think it just keeps your mind sharp and your attention on what is happening around you. Have had it to often with other people around me collapse or what not. It just keep you alert and orientated to where you are and in what state of mind you are in. now that my rambling is done it is normal to think of assessments for pts.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtbuff@Mar 1 2005, 03:23 PM
As to all of you that think you have gone crazy with going through pt assessments in your head when you see something like a baby on O2. I would have to say that it is a well learned trait for EMS providers to do. As I know I can be driving along see some one weaving on the road but not overly bad. I will think to my self now if he goes off and flips what is the first thing to do and so forth. I think it just keeps your mind sharp and your attention on what is happening around you. Have had it to often with other people around me collapse or what not. It just keep you alert and orientated to where you are and in what state of mind you are in. now that my rambling is done it is normal to think of assessments for pts.
What is even worse is that I do my security work at a rather high security facility, and I find myself out and about and looking at access control methods (Card readers, etc) and running through my mind the pluses/minuses and ease of defeat of different methods (Chimp - does this ever go away). Oh, and I was stuck troubleshooting an electronic lock at the squad this weekend. :( :rolleyes:

I also think about EMS access when on a tour of a building. Like: If I had a response for someone in "this cubical" which door would I use to respond in with my gear? How about removing the patient? Could we use this emergency exit, rather than going through the entire building.

Jon

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by EMTstudent@Mar 1 2005, 09:55 AM
Canula :lol:

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Summit+Mar 2 2005, 03:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Summit @ Mar 2 2005, 03:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EMTstudent@Mar 1 2005, 09:55 AM
NC as "Casal cannula" or "No comment"?  :lol:  :p
Canula :lol: [/b][/quote]
Just making sure! ;)

You never know around here! :lol: :D :p