The 2018 EMTLife Salary Survey

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
When I left the fire service a while back we were making 18-ish an hour for regular shifts working 48/96s as fire medics, smaller urban interface transport department on the front range. Benefits were about the minimum that you could provide under the law, the health insurance was cheap but minimum coverage. 401K with match, no pension. From the guys I talk to on the department it sounds like the pay hasn't changed much, they are pushing hard for part time/PRN medics who only work the bus and get paid much less. You could make much more if you got a wild land assignment during the summer, but it is very physically demanding work; one of our medics would pull 120+ an hour in over time when he would get individually assigned to out of state fires. The majority of the department were either trying to get onto a bigger department or figuring what to do with their lives to make a living wage.

Currently I make about 40 an hour for regular time in the ED as a staff/charge nurse with occasional community outreach/education stuff. Our pay gets calculated weird, we get some differentials paid at 1.5 when we are in over time but not others. OT is about 60, 70 if I get call in or shift bonus pay. When all is said and done I would make about 85K a year if I didn't work OT doing 36 hours a week, working 1-2 OT shifts a week I make just shy of 130K a year. The system pays for all required certifications and licenses, even my EMS certs that I don't need per my job title. They also will pay for me to take classes that we don't require in the department, for example STABLE, NRP, and ATCN/ATLS as long as it is beneficial to the department. We get a bonus for every board cert when we pass or renew, plus they cover the costs of boards. We also get paid for education time for conferences and CE/CEU/CMEs. We don't pay more for BSN vs ADN, but we very rarely hire anyone who doesn't have a BSN; without a BSN you can't really advance at all. We even get a bonus at the end of the year for doing volunteer work in the medical field or any volunteering in the local community. Basically if my time befits the department, they pay for it.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
1. What is the starting hourly pay rate or starting annual salary?
-Paramedic: $17/hr
-Night Shift Differential: $1.50
-LDT Bonus $10/hr
-Holidays are double time

2. What is the typical schedule for this pay?
-12 hours
-Mon,Tue,Fri,Sat,Sun,Wed,Thur

3. What region are you in?
-Southwest Missouri

4. What are the benefits, especially health insurance and retirement?
-100% company paid health and dental.
-Low deductible health plan with 0% after deductible.
-State Pension with highest level employer contribution
-Optional 457k retirement
-Paid professional development (college, extra training, etc..)

5. Optional: What is the typical call volume?
- 12000/year
- 4-6 ALS units on per day (6 at peak hours)
- 1-6 ALS fly cars

6. Optional: What is your hourly pay rate or annual salary?
$19.52

7. Optional: How many years experience do you have?
- 1.5 Paramedic
- 6 EMT

8. Optional: What is your education level, and does it impact your pay?
Almost completed associates; no.

9. Optional: Agency name or type?
Ambulance district... Basically a county 3rd service.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
http://ems-stats.com/ looks to be doing the exact same thing.... but with a super cool dynamic interface

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
http://ems-stats.com/ looks to be doing the exact same thing.... but with a super cool dynamic interface

One big downside to this ems-stats website (I just completed the survey and tried it) is that it only allowed me to input hourly pay, and it ranks my pay (which is 24 hour pay) on the same scale as 12 hour pay. I'm not so sure how reliable the pay results might be. *shrug*

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
One big downside to this ems-stats website (I just completed the survey and tried it) is that it only allowed me to input hourly pay, and it ranks my pay (which is 24 hour pay) on the same scale as 12 hour pay. I'm not so sure how reliable the pay results might be. *shrug*
Many agencies that do 24 hour pay lower also assign a 12 hour pay rate. Do you have one of those you could submit?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
it only allowed me to input hourly pay, and it ranks my pay (which is 24 hour pay) on the same scale as 12 hour pay. I'm not so sure how reliable the pay results might be. *shrug*
what does that mean? my pay is in US dollars, and I get paid by the hour, whether I work 12s, 24s, or 8s. Unless you are referring to that whole "we don't get paid for sleep time" so your 24 hour pay rate is artificially high (I think).

i always found the easiest way to calculate your hourly pay is to take the amount you take over your entire shift, and divide it by the numbers of hours you are working, and it's pretty accurate way to calculate hourly rate.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
$38.75/hr PCP
$42.40/hr ACP

15% pay in lieu of benefits for PT.
Provincial medical covers most, benefits cover 100% dental, pharm, chiro/massage, etc. No max on drugs or dental, generous max on everything else. (Save mental health can be used up way too quick)

42 hr week
4N-4off-3D3N-4off-4D-6off

Ontario Canada
Benefits as above.
Defined benefit pension. 70% of avg 3 best years after 30. Indexed to inflation. Pension fund outside the employer with workers and employer reps on pension board.

5. Optional: What is the typical call volume?
~80k calls per year. 1.1M pop urban/suburban/rural. Peak deployment about 40 transport units dropping to around 25 at lowest (2400-0600).
Depends on the station but service avg maybe 4-6 calls per shift. Some movement to cover off adjacent stations.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
what does that mean? my pay is in US dollars, and I get paid by the hour, whether I work 12s, 24s, or 8s. Unless you are referring to that whole "we don't get paid for sleep time" so your 24 hour pay rate is artificially high (I think).

Sometimes places that are scheduled for two 24s (48hrs) have a lower average hourly due to the guaranteed 8hrs of overtime every week unless like you said they don't pay sleep time.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
i always found the easiest way to calculate your hourly pay is to take the amount you take over your entire shift, and divide it by the numbers of hours you are working, and it's pretty accurate way to calculate hourly rate.

I had a coworker that didn't understand what taxes were. She explained angrily that we were paid less than minimum wage because her paycheck was for X number of dollars, and that number divided by the number of hours she worked was less than minimum wage.

She was jus looking at the amount deposited, not the whole check.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Sometimes places that are scheduled for two 24s (48hrs) have a lower average hourly due to the guaranteed 8hrs of overtime every week unless like you said they don't pay sleep time.

Right. That's the situation here. We work 120 hours every 2 weeks (typically... though with one 96 hour pay period 1 out of every 3 pay periods), so there's 20 hours of automatic overpay time every 2 out of 3 pay periods. My hourly pay sounds misleadingly low in that context. Technically speaking, many EMS providers on 12 hour shifts make much more than me on an hourly basis, but my *annual pay* (with the automatic overtime included) looks a lot better.

I kind of prefer having both hourly and annual pay data available. *shrug*

Nothing against ems-stats.com, but to me this thread is far more useful. Just IMO.

SamGribley

Forum Ride Along
-It's around $16.00/hr for medics and $12.50/hr for basics. Those would both be for someone fresh out of school with zero experience.
- Holidays are double time
- Yearly 2% raises
- Medics get large bumps at 3, 5, 8, and 11 years experience.

-12 hour A/B rotation with 48 hrs one week and 36 hrs the next week

-Central Illinois

-Health insurance is BC/BS 80/20 at a reasonable rate.
-Free dental insurance.
-We have a 403B and the company matches 50% of your contribution with no limit.
-$500 Christmas bonus every year
-yearly incentive bonus (mine was $750 in 2017).

6. What is your hourly pay rate or annual salary?
-I make $21.99/hr as a CCP with 9 years of experience.

8. What is your education level, and does it impact your pay?
-If I remember correctly I got around a 12.5% raise when I got my CCP certification.

9. Agency name or type?
-Private not-for-profit service based out of central Illinois with outlying markets in western Illinois and eastern Iowa.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
<snip>

-Health insurance is BC/BS 80/20 at a reasonable rate.
-Free dental insurance.
-We have a 403B and the company matches 50% of your contribution with no limit.
-$500 Christmas bonus every year
-yearly incentive bonus (mine was $750 in 2017).

<snip>

8. What is your education level, and does it impact your pay?
-If I remember correctly I got around a 12.5% raise when I got my CCP certification.

9. Agency name or type?
-Private not-for-profit service based out of central Illinois with outlying markets in western Illinois and eastern Iowa.

Thanks for responding. On the 403(b), is there no limit? So you could defer $18k and get a $9k match? That is a heck of a deal.

Did your 12.5% raise come with any changes in your work, e.g. are you picking up critical care transports or such?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
What is the take home pay?
Sorry, us Yanks don't know how the Canadian tax system works.

Or at least I don't.
My net per month fluctuates a bit w/ shift premiums ($0.90/hr extra for nights and weekend shifts) missed meals, shift overrun (not a lot maybe a couple hours per month). Average take home is about $4800 per month.