The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Nerds...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Too good to not share.

5923BEC9-11EC-47EC-9721-781A8783F33C.jpeg

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It does bring up a point though...do we stay and play instead of transporting in a timely fashion too much in EMS?
In general or with specific patient populations? A cardiac arrest with no ROSC is better served by staying. A critical trauma is better served by rapid transport.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
It does bring up a point though...do we stay and play instead of transporting in a timely fashion too much in EMS?
I think people are too scared to stay and play. Time sensitive emergencies are one thing, but there are plenty of situations we can improve the downstream side of things by taking the time to stay and play.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Kobe Bryant dead at 41 in SoCal helicopter crash.

RIP Kobe.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Kobe Bryant dead at 41 in SoCal helicopter crash.

RIP Kobe.
Definitely a sad one. Apparently his oldest was on board as well. R.I.P. to all. Just based off of the pictures seen it appears CFIT yet again. Ay yay yay.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely a sad one. Apparently his oldest was on board as well. R.I.P. to all. Just based off of the pictures seen it appears CFIT yet again. Ay yay yay.
Id agree, thought I saw some witness reports of seeing fire and hearing engine sputtering prior to impact and seeing flames (though witnesses always say that).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Not really. Any half decent paramedic should be able to identify when the patient needs to be transported immediately. The rest of them will either have an improved outcome and/or more efficient hospital course or nothing changes and some time was "wasted" on scene.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Time on scene is also a detriment to efficiency. It's time that the crew can't be in service for another patient.

If you are running a 3 ambulance service seeing 5 calls each a 10 minute delay on each one adds up to two and a half hours that ambulances were potentially out of service.

If you look you consider a HEMS/CCT that sees 10 calls a day across the program and you spend an extra 30 minutes packaging and 20 minutes off loading then you are out 8 hours.

This time adds up. It is time we can't respond to patients, potentially fines for contracted services, and calls lost to another agency; not to mention the delay of definitive care. If the patient is going to require transport, what is being done one seen that cannot be done in the back of the bus?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Time on scene is also a detriment to efficiency. It's time that the crew can't be in service for another patient.

If you are running a 3 ambulance service seeing 5 calls each a 10 minute delay on each one adds up to two and a half hours that ambulances were potentially out of service.

If you look you consider a HEMS/CCT that sees 10 calls a day across the program and you spend an extra 30 minutes packaging and 20 minutes off loading then you are out 8 hours.

This time adds up. It is time we can't respond to patients, potentially fines for contracted services, and calls lost to another agency; not to mention the delay of definitive care. If the patient is going to require transport, what is being done one seen that cannot be done in the back of the bus?
Just because I can work in a moving ambulance doesn't mean I like to. I'd rather my interventions be done and be able to stay seatbelted in most the ride. Those logistics I honestly don't care about. If me needing to do my job negatively effects my company, then they need to staff better.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Just because I can work in a moving ambulance doesn't mean I like to. I'd rather my interventions be done and be able to stay seatbelted in most the ride. Those logistics I honestly don't care about. If me needing to do my job negatively effects my company, then they need to staff better.

What are you doing in the bus that can't be done with a seatbelt on? Other than intubating we had everything within reach while wearing a 4 point on the bench.

Time on scene is nothing compared to the time lost on the wall in ERs.

That's a regional thing, I've never had a crew hold the wall.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe I should have just eaten lunch instead of the half dozen eggs I hardboiled to have as snacks for later lol

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
What are you doing in the bus that can't be done with a seatbelt on? Other than intubating we had everything within reach while wearing a 4 point on the bench.

Quite a bit of equipment can't be reached like that. If I sit in the captains seat, I can reach my airway stuff, but I'm facing the back of their head. Kind of an awkward way to CPAP. I can't really reach my drug boxes or McGrath (I can open the door, but it swings towards me and can't reach all the way in). I can't reach any of our IV/med bins. And I can't reach any of our trauma bins. If I sit on the bench, all I can reach is towels and suction equipment. If I'm gonna take the time to set it all up to do while transporting, I might as well just take the time to do it on scene.

A lot of the emergent transports (shootings being the most common lately) that I can't stay and play on, I'm not wearing a seatbelt. If I have something like an arrest where I play, then it actually is in arms reach and I am belted.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
When you're going the speed limit at night and the driver behind decides to follow way too close and ignores opportunities to pass... Cool, I guess we're going 10 under the speed limit now.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Being as short as I am, in the vast majority of our type IIIs, I can’t even reach my patient. So if I need to put back on an EKG lead, adjust a BP cuff, admin a medication, adjust their nasal EtCO2, I have to unbuckle and stand up. All I can do from sitting down is watch my patient and chart.