TEAS V

kurtwagner75

Forum Ride Along
I'm new to this app and EMS in general, so I apologize in advance if I am not posting in the right place. I am scheduled to take the TEAS V next week and would like to know opinions on overall difficulty of the assessment. I am older than the average student and haven't been in a classroom for 20 years. Someone already said to concentrate on math and English more than science. Any opinions, tips and advice will be appreciated. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If you're taking it next week, for the most part you're as prepared as you're going to get.You might be able to learn a thing or two or polish up some knowledge, but if you haven't been preparing for it all along then you probably aren't going to be ready for it.

I've never taken that test specifically, but a quick google reveals its a college entrance exam for nursing programs. I would imagine the expectations is proficiency in high school senior level math, science, and English. So as far as difficulty, if you can do high school work it should be no problem. If you can't, it will likely be a challenge, perhaps an impossible challenge without further prep.

That's not an indictment of you personally. I barely graduated high school due to profound laziness and inattention. I never took proper college prep math courses(algebra, geometry etc). I took accounting for my math credits. If I had to take that test tomorrow I'd bomb it.

All that being said, both of my parents went to college, for nursing no less, in their middle/late thirties. It can be done and is done all the time. There seems to be plenty of review material for that test specifically. Get after it and you'll do fine.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I thought the PSAT was far harder.

Actually the ITBS was harder. Do they still give the Iowa?

What do you need the TEAS for in EMS? I associate that with RN programs to weed out mouth breathers so save the application committee time...

OP
OP
K

kurtwagner75

Forum Ride Along
If you're taking it next week, for the most part you're as prepared as you're going to get.You might be able to learn a thing or two or polish up some knowledge, but if you haven't been preparing for it all along then you probably aren't going to be ready for it.

I've never taken that test specifically, but a quick google reveals its a college entrance exam for nursing programs. I would imagine the expectations is proficiency in high school senior level math, science, and English. So as far as difficulty, if you can do high school work it should be no problem. If you can't, it will likely be a challenge, perhaps an impossible challenge without further prep.

That's not an indictment of you personally. I barely graduated high school due to profound laziness and inattention. I never took proper college prep math courses(algebra, geometry etc). I took accounting for my math credits. If I had to take that test tomorrow I'd bomb it.

All that being said, both of my parents went to college, for nursing no less, in their middle/late thirties. It can be done and is done all the time. There seems to be plenty of review material for that test specifically. Get after it and you'll do fine.

I purchased the study materials in January and have been doing the online study in addition to the book that was sent. My trouble is all of the high school math I have forgotten over the years, so my current concentration is on that. I have been humbled by how far I'm having to go back and re-learn.

OP
OP
K

kurtwagner75

Forum Ride Along
I thought the PSAT was far harder.

Actually the ITBS was harder. Do they still give the Iowa?

What do you need the TEAS for in EMS? I associate that with RN programs to weed out mouth breathers so save the application committee time...

The academy I want to attend (Grady Academy here in Atlanta) requires the TEAS V assessment for entrance to their program. It's a much more direct path to EMS training and employment with Grady and it is my understanding that their standards exceed those of most technical schools.