Taxpayers paying to defend EMT accused of hitting on patient

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/EMT-Misconduct-What-a-Waste-230726141.html

When she called 911, firefighter/EMTs from South King Fire and Rescue found her laying on the bathroom floor.

"They came in and I was just in little boy shorts and a sports bra and I kind of had a towel thrown over me," Lindsay said.

Lindsay says the EMTs checked her heart and stabilized her. But she remembers the EMT's behavior on the way to the hospital.

"I remember he called me sweetheart a couple of times," she said.

And she adds it made her feel uncomfortable.

"I just thought that he was kind of flirtatious and joking around, but I was in no mood to really deal with it because I was just kind of freaked out and not feeling good," she said.

According to investigative records obtained by the Problem Solvers, while Lindsay was still in the emergency room, she got a Facebook friend request on her cell phone just two hours after the firefighter/EMTs dropped her off.

"And I remember my response to him was, 'Wow, how embarrassing. I was banking on the fact that I'd never have to see you again,'" she said.

The EMT asked for her phone number through Facebook messaging, and she gave it to him not wanting to be rude to someone who'd just helped her during an emergency. She says he immediately started texting her.

"Like three seconds later he texted me back and was, like, sending me pictures of himself," Linsday said.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Clearly over the line to contact a patient via facebook and ask for a number. But also a good reminder to everyone that some of those verbal tics/mannerisms can get you in trouble. Generally I would advocate not calling patients "honey, sweetheart, babe, etc." Had a co-worker who used to call patients "darling" and it drove me crazy. I know there are some areas of the country where it is more common but best to try to remove it from your professional vocabulary.

CFal

Forum Captain
I've had patients friend request me on facebook.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
yes, he was wrong, yes, he probably should have been suspended for longer than a day, if it's a one time thing, where is the issue?

she didn't file the complaint. the department handled the issue, and i'm guessing it hasn't happened again. again, where is the issue?

Someone screws up, the complaintant doesn't file a complaint about it, the department handles it.... it should be a non-issue.

move on to more important things.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Should have fired him on the spot for conduct unbecoming, then forward it to the state for review of his conduct

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Should have fired him on the spot for conduct unbecoming, then forward it to the state for review of his conduct

Quoted for truth.

There's a huge difference between a patient finding you and you going out to find a patient using their personal information...

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
yes, he was wrong, yes, he probably should have been suspended for longer than a day, if it's a one time thing, where is the issue?

she didn't file the complaint. the department handled the issue, and i'm guessing it hasn't happened again. again, where is the issue?

Someone screws up, the complaintant doesn't file a complaint about it, the department handles it.... it should be a non-issue.

move on to more important things.
Reading the article, it doesn't seem like this is the first incident with this medic. He has four disciplinary incidents, more than any other employee.

I would have... oh wait, it's the chief's son. Time to fill out another incident report.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
And oh wait it's a fire union that hides crap like this and protects the bottom feeders

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Reading the article, it doesn't seem like this is the first incident with this medic. He has four disciplinary incidents, more than any other employee.
I missed that sentance .... time for him to go

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
From the Article:

"Progressive discipline is supposed to correct, not punish, and if they finally get the message after three or four times and they still become a good employee, who cares if they have four?" Quinn said.

Obviously progressive discipline has not worked for this employee. especially if these are for the same infraction, Its time to let the problem employee go.

As far as I'm concerned he dropped the ball, and crossed the line. I have had patients find me on facebook as my name is on my ID badge. however I have never used a patients information to locate them on facebook. Or used their personal information to contact them via cell phone or what not. I have a few people who were patients that found me on facebook and offered to keep in touch. But in most cases like this womans she was clearly embarrassed by the situation and was hoping that it was over after the incident. The EMT did take the patients personal information to obtain personal gain. Thusforth he needs either a suspension of his liscense or permanent ban.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
No none needs to be "fired on the spot" unless they are under arrest and confess.

Putting the entire report aside for a second, imagine if you were a responder and a complaint like this hit you when you didn't know what was going on. Maybe even had a response or two from the plaintiff before she or he decided this was as wrong as their first impression told them, then blammo. Yeah you deserve a hearing and until the outcome is decided, paid and given full benefits. If healthy, work could be found, such as inventory, cleaning etc to earn the money. If guilty, the employer could sue to recover the pay.

There is a reason for hearings and they need to be impartial, not putting Armorall on the slide when a company or department summarily fires you as step one in an effort to avoid a lawsuit…whether or not you were wrong, or wronged. (My former employer used to do that as a matter of course, firing on the spot…they lost some really good lawsuits to the fired employees that way!).

MedicRobNL

Forum Ride Along
Those defending this individual should take another look at their own morals and professionalism.

He took advantage of a patient in a time of extreme vulnerability. He used personal information to track her down to pursue a personal (perhaps romantic) relationship with her. It's completely inappropriate and wrong.

Many times PT will thank, hug, kiss, offer "anything" to repay, etc the individual(s) who they feel has helped save their lives. It's our responsibility to be professional, comfort them on a PROFESSIONAL level and move on.

It's a job, it's not speed dating.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator: