Taking NREMT-P exam without certificate of course completion?

Coloradomedic08

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I am about to finish my paramedic program and I had some questions concerning my eligibility to test. I took my basic class through a level ll trauma center's EMS department, so I have no college credit for that education. I've been advised by my paramedic program's dep. chair, that I cannot be issued a certificate for having completed the program, but he can still authorize me to test. What concerns me is whether this can come back and bite me in the *** if I let my NR laps; how will I recert? Is my letter of authorization to test good indefinitely? If a future employer sees that I have no certificate for completing a program, could that effect eligibility for employment?

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I would have all those same concerns. It doesn't really add up. Why were you allowed in the program if it wasn't valid? Do you have your past NREMT cert? Program completion for EMT? They are passing you but not giving you your cert?

Sounds weird.

I don't know about CO, but initial paramedic apps in CA require that completion certificate.

OP
OP
Coloradomedic08

Coloradomedic08

Forum Ride Along
I would have all those same concerns. It doesn't really add up. Why were you allowed in the program if it wasn't valid? Do you have your past NREMT cert? Program completion for EMT? They are passing you but not giving you your cert?

Sounds weird.

I don't know about CO, but initial paramedic apps in CA require that completion certificate.

I have my cert for completion of an EMT-B course, I took NR, I have licenses for both CO and TX. But because the course was not taken through a college, I have no college credits for it. The school I'm currently going to cannot issue a certificate of completion unless I have credit hours for an EMT-B program; which I do not.

What's even more interesting is that if this was an issue before, why was I allowed to take their EMT-I course? I was given a cert for completing that program last spring, they knew I didn't have EMT-B credits then.

Does that mean they're going to give me a cert for course completion anyways... This school is janky.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Once you pass NR its a moot point. If you let it lapse it doesnt matter how or where you took your course because youve already held a valid NR cert

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk