Tactical Medics

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all!
In recent weeks, I've been doing all the reading I can on tactical medics. I think it's a great idea, but I've only been able to find info for major Canadian cities - primarily in Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver.

In Edmonton, specifically, the Tactical EMS is a team of about 6 EMT-P's and 5 EMT-A's. The team trains with the tactical response team under the Edmonton Police Service. They train in firearms, tactics, etc... They also undergo advanced training for treating and containing biological and chemical warfare, stab-punctures and g-s-w's. They do not carry firearms and ride regular EMS rigs and are called out every time the EPS tactical team responds to a dangerous warrant executions, stand-off situations, terrorist threats and any other dangerous situation involving the EPS tactical unit. Their primary roles are to provide medical consultation to EPS tactical command and provide frontline ALS care to the injured in dangerous situations.

Does anyone know of any services in other countries that has similar programs, and how they work? Is anyone here a tatical medic? Thoughts on tactical medics?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Hopefully our resident tactical medic Luno will see this and chime in.

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
I know that here in Grand Rapids, Mi they train the AMR medics on weapons and weapon retention so that if they end up alone they are not defenseless.

OP
OP
K

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
That's awesome! I didn't know we've got a resident tactical medic! :p. I've yet to find a group that has specific details on training and responses - I'd like to look at being a tactical medic with the City of Edmonton when I get my EMT liscense. Any tips?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Kendall

If you have any further questions, send me an e-mail. Tac-Forums is a great site, that's incidently how I wound up here...