Tactical communication

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone out there aware of alternatives to Verbal Judo? Not having a lot of luck searching this one.

Egg

firecoins

IFT Puppet
verbal Brazilian Jui jiutsu?

verbal karate?

verbal kung fu?

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Anyone out there aware of alternatives to Verbal Judo? Not having a lot of luck searching this one.

Egg

Actually I had a little course recently. It was called "Verbal Fitness for Patrol" concepts were similar to Verbal Judo with a different approach.

In Verbal Judo you are taught to use words like " 'preciate that, but.." and " understand that but" and follow it with your statement of what needed to occur.

Verbal Judo was a good program but I heard there was some sort of "discovery" about Dr. Thompson that had him fall out of favor with LEO over the past few years. Again not fact, only what I heard.

Now, with the Verbal Fitness for Patrol, there was a different approach taught. they try and find a way to make the other person feel empowered by "asking for help" from them. It is a pretty neat trick. I have used it quite a bit since I had the class with a lot of success.

There is a book and a workbook out there. I would highly recommend attending one of the courses.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Do you teach the course, or were you just attending? This seems like it would fit right into DT4EMS.

I attended this one a couple of months ago. Actually in the DT4EMS course we cover verbal skills that are taught in several courses.

Classes like Verbal Judo, Verbal Fitness for Patrol and the verbal skills taught in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention all have good "skills" for the EMS provider to learn.

I will tell you one of my biggest arguments is that the average EMS provider is ALREADY SKILLED in verbal skills. So they don't need a ton more training on the subject. A little review now and again on verbal skills is a great thing though :)

Kip