Systems that run 100K + calls a year

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
Just curious if anyone on here works in a system that runs close to or more than 100,000 calls a year. Is it a SSM type system or run out of stations? How many ambulances on at peak times and generally how many calls per shift? How's the moral of the crews and most importantly do you guys enjoy it?!

cleanboofs

Paramedic
We ran 112kish last year and we are SSM. The amount of ambulances vary from day to day. Today there were about 17 day shift ambulances on and about 21 night shift ambulances on, with the understanding that on and off times overlap. Average calls per shift I'd say 10-20 during summer and 5-12 during the winter. That is all with 10 hour shifts. Moral is relative to the person, depends upon how negative you want to be. Everything has down sides. Some days stink and some days are fun. I'd say there are more fun days than bad days.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
We run over 100k a yr. SSM in the City. And 13 stations throughout the county in the towns. Most with dual units. City peaks about 25-30 cars. Our stations have great moral, with nice stations with cable, bbqs, and individual rooms with flat screens. Stations get coverage from a city unit when a station unit is out. City units are run hard so there is some easier burn out for some people. Luckly people still run calls for there coworkers when they are logging off or are closer to a call. So not crazy bad moral for the city cars. Most people at stations are very happy and have 5 plus yrs depending on station they could all be 10-15yr plus.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
Ran about 150k last year. SSM, but a number of posts are fire stations, police precincts or hospitals. Normally 10-15 rigs a shift (summer peak times can go almost to 20 on a good day). We work 8's or 12's, 4-6 calls on an 8 hour, usually a minimum of 8 calls on a 12 hour. Crew moral is variable, theres a handful of burnouts who have nowhere else to go, but generally its a "love to hate" relationship and most people stick around because they like the action whether they admit it or not.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
We ran 112kish last year and we are SSM. The amount of ambulances vary from day to day. Today there were about 17 day shift ambulances on and about 21 night shift ambulances on, with the understanding that on and off times overlap. Average calls per shift I'd say 10-20 during summer and 5-12 during the winter. That is all with 10 hour shifts. Moral is relative to the person, depends upon how negative you want to be. Everything has down sides. Some days stink and some days are fun. I'd say there are more fun days than bad days.

What he said (I work the same place).

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
We run 120-160k calls a year (forget what number) and we are out of stations. Have 38-40+ trucks on 24/7, plus 6 commanders, and a couple community health medics.

Call volume all depends on station. Our busiest 12 probably averages 10 or more but the hospital is 2 minutes away from pretty much everywhere they run. Our busiest 24 averages about 14-16 on terrible days. Slowest 24 averages 1 probably. Morale is good for the most part, we all complain about things sometimes (goes for any job at any company).

Again, call volume is based on station and whatever the fine citizens feel like getting into that day. The numbers I gave can be complete opposites on any given day.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Around 150k/yr.

Fire-based EMS, so no SSM. All out of stations.

We have 32 full-time units and 7 peak units. At least 2 peaks on per shift, Friday gets 5, Saturday gets 6-7.

Average is probably close to 15 per 24hr shift, but that can swing drastically. My record high is 26, record low is 5.

Morale is mixed. The guys all love the department, but EMS specifically is hit or miss. It is much better than when I first got in, though, and is still getting better.

I enjoy it. I've got two awesome partners, great protocols, great compensation, and more time off than I know what to do with. If I was stuck with different partners and I needed to work OT, it would probably wear on me a little, though.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Is your fire and ems separate? Ie do you rotate from the box to the engine or do one or the other @STXmedic
We're separate. If you're in the EMS division, they take your bunker gear and you only function as a paramedic.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Aqui

Fair warning, you have to spend your first three years as a firefighter... For the compensation and low cost of living, I think it's tolerable. You still get to function as a medic in those three years.

Angel

Paramedic
Thanks @STXmedic not sure how I missed that link earlier but I think im gonna go for it! I submitted the interest card so well see what happens

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wow. That's kinda cool. Do you maintain your fire certs once you go single role?
Yeah, we're required to. It's just some yearly online CE we have to complete. If we ever transition back into Fire, we have to go through a two week refresher.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Thanks @STXmedic not sure how I missed that link earlier but I think im gonna go for it! I submitted the interest card so well see what happens
Awesome, good luck! PM me if you have any other questions.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Around 150k/yr.

Fire-based EMS, so no SSM. All out of stations.

Average is probably close to 15 per 24hr shift, but that can swing drastically. My record high is 26, record low is 5.

Morale is mixed. The guys all love the department, but EMS specifically is hit or miss. It is much better than when I first got in, though, and is still getting better.

I enjoy it. I've got two awesome partners, great protocols, great compensation, and more time off than I know what to do with. If I was stuck with different partners and I needed to work OT, it would probably wear on me a little, though.

Man, maybe it's just that I'm old and lazy, but I couldn't tolerate that call volume. Especially doing 24's.

Flying for a rural HEMS service was a good fit for me - 24 hour shifts, station based (obviously), average volume was 1-3 per shift, and they tended to be high acuity. Perfect job for someone who likes action but also doesn't like to be too busy.

Yours sounds like a really good system, though.

BEN52

Forum Crew Member
I did for a little over 5 years. Fire based, dual role system running a little over 125k a year with 32 full time ambulances and the occasional peak volume unit running 24 hour shifts. Theoretically we were station based but in reality you were pounding pavement for the duration of the shift. On my unit we averaged anywhere from 12 to 20 runs per day (keep in mind we routinely had hospital wait times of an hour plus).

It was a good system that was making a legitimate effort to provide quality medical care. We had a great full time medical director, very solid equipment, adequate con ed, and improving QA/QI.

I loved it for awhile. I was fortunate to work with a fantastic crew and the brotherhood was second to none. At some point the novelty wore off and you realize that you are used, abused, and unappreciated. The sleepless nights wear on you and bleed into your days off. You get tired of dealing with the absolute dregs of society. I grew tired of bearing witness to horrific violence and seeing the consequences of continual poor decisions. I love being a paramedic but loathed being a social worker, punching bag, and taxi driver. It Sleep deprivation, burnout, and stress are real and carry legitimate consequences. It became a struggle not to be bitter and to not provide assumptive care.

Right around this time our pay was cut and pension eliminated. I decided I had my fill and headed for greener pastures. There are days I miss the action and brotherhood but overall I am happy with my decision. With that being said, my experience there made me the provider I am and the experiences can never be replaced nor can they be gained in a low volume suburban system in that quantity. If your young and just beginning your career I highly recommend it but definitely have an exit strategy to a sustainable long term career. To those who made a career of this my hat is off to you but I could not do it.