SUV hits ambulance headon, kills driver of SUV

Epi-do

I see dead people
Fatal crash victim identified

Indianapolis - A man was killed in an overnight crash involving an SUV and a Riley Hospital ambulance.

It happened in the 1800 block of North Illinois Street just before 1:00 am. Police say a Honda SUV was driving the wrong way down Illinois, which is one-way northbound at that point.

The SUV struck the ambulance head-on. A ladder attached to the roof of the SUV broke loose and passed in through the windshield of the ambulance. Its progress was stopped by the ambulance's steering wheel.

Fortunately, the driver of the ambulance was not seriously injured, and no one else was in the truck at the time of the accident. For those not from the Indy area, or familiar with Riley's transport team, Riley Hospital is a peds hospital with their own critical care transport team.

Riley Hospital is a part of Clarian, along with Methodist Hospital. The critical care team is staffed by Lifeline employees, which is Methodist's critical care transport team. They transport patients via ground, helo, and fixed wing. The Riley ambulances are kept at Riley Hospital, aprox 1 mile from Methodist. The driver had just dropped the transport team off at Methodist after they had completed a transfer and was taking the ambulance back to Riley.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wow, sucks to be the driver of the SUV.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Ambulance driver got lucky, with that steering wheel in the way!

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Unfortunate, but the driver of the ambulance was damn lucky. Glad to hear he's okay.

Any report on how fast either vehicle was traveling? ETOH most likely involved.

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
Unfortunate, but the driver of the ambulance was damn lucky. Glad to hear he's okay.

Any report on how fast either vehicle was traveling? ETOH most likely involved.

My thoughts exactly on the ambulance driver. Speed limit in that particular area is around 30 mph (can't remember exactly). I haven't seen anything more that indicates how fast either driver was going though.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
My thoughts exactly on the ambulance driver. Speed limit in that particular area is around 30 mph (can't remember exactly). I haven't seen anything more that indicates how fast either driver was going though.

I saw the pictures on the link there... I'm no expert but it looks like speeding was involved...

Last edited by a moderator: