Suspended licence

Moriarty

Forum Ride Along
In 2006 my license was suspended. :blush:

I got sweep up into the government mental health system and my license was suspended for "mental health" reasons at the hospital.

I proved in an interview to the DMV safety department that I was fully mentally capable of driving and got my license back. Talk about embarrassing and costly.

Three and a half years later...
I am denied employment by a ambulance company. There policy is to not insure anyone with a suspended license earlier than five years. I called the DMV safety department but they couldn't help.

It was very disappointing to find out after going through class, the national registry, background checks, and getting the ambulance certificate.

Is there anything I can do?

TccEMT

Forum Crew Member
A different ambulance service maybe? Ask AMR, they let 18 years old drive when most places say 20/21 so they may be able to hire you with the suspended two years ago.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Apply to another company?

See if you can get some sort of letter from your physician stating that you are psychologically capable?

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
A different ambulance service maybe? Ask AMR, they let 18 years old drive when most places say 20/21 so they may be able to hire you with the suspended two years ago.

No way? If this is true then you just made my day, I thought I would have to work at a hospital but now I can at least try to get on an ambo.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
In 2006 my license was suspended. :blush:

I got sweep up into the government mental health system and my license was suspended for "mental health" reasons at the hospital.

I proved in an interview to the DMV safety department that I was fully mentally capable of driving and got my license back. Talk about embarrassing and costly.

Three and a half years later...
I am denied employment by a ambulance company. There policy is to not insure anyone with a suspended license earlier than five years. I called the DMV safety department but they couldn't help.

It was very disappointing to find out after going through class, the national registry, background checks, and getting the ambulance certificate.

Is there anything I can do?

Depends. Some companies may deny you employment based on your mental health history. Some companies may deny you based on your license suspension. Some may hire you irregardless of both. Just keep applying.

TccEMT

Forum Crew Member
No way? If this is true then you just made my day, I thought I would have to work at a hospital but now I can at least try to get on an ambo.

Yeah, AMR is one of only 2 places I can think of that will hire someone and let them drive at 18. The other would Rural/Metro Ambulance. Everywere else has insurance requirments of 20/21. So its worth a shot to see.

TccEMT

Forum Crew Member
By the way I just noticed your in Peoria, AZ, so you may want to check with River Medical (Lake Havasu area) as AMR owns them. Although this may not work as Southwest is owned by Rural/Metro but has different requirments than Rural/Metro.
For what it's worth, Rural/Metro has PT opening in Yuma right now but I doubt you want to move for PT.

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
First of all - you are extremely brave for putting this out here on a public forum. I'm glad to see you've gotten positive responses.

As far as your history - some places are very strict about suspensions - it is entirely dependent on the insurer of the ambulance service as that is what ultimately determines it. Now, all that being said, here's how I would handle it - I would simply state that the suspension occurred as a result of a medical issue that has since resolved (no need to volunteer more than neccessary, but assure them that it is okay now) and that you have safely driven for the last two years. Often times a suspension just shows as a suspension and doesn't specify whether it's due to a failure to appear, excessive tickets, reckless driving, medical reasons, DUI, etc. There are many reasons that a license can be suspended, and sometimes it's dependent on the type of suspension you receive, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, considering your license was suspended due to a medical issue (and a mental health one on that) I would definitely have your doctor write a letter supporting that you can safely work in the EMS environment (as without a doubt they will have some concerns) and also that you can drive in a safe manner. That way, if questions are brought up during the interview afterwards, then you can have that to support things. Technically, they cannot deny you employment based on disability be it prior or current, but they can request evidence that you have a statement proving you are able to work without concern. (I wouldn't volunteer the mental health info though unless required - just say health issue as technically it's illegal to ask on a form whether you have a disability to require accomodation or not).

You could always call in advance of submitting your application and beginning the process to see what their hiring policy on suspensions is without anything being released. Just call and say "I was wondering what your hiring policy was for those that have medical suspensions on their driver's license". That way you have an answer anonymously whether you would be considered or not. If they would consider you, then don't even mention it.

However, another thing to consider - driving is NOT mandantory for all services ! They try to make it be, but it really isn't. If they operate a BLS truck or multiple, ask for that to be a reasonable accomodation to not drive (still falls under the auspices of disability and accomodation). Would require you to disclose more info than you care to, but if you would have been hired otherwise then something to consider. Many services won't fire those with a DUI and they are kept from driving an emergency vehicle for a year in this state, and I've chosen to not drive an emergency vehicle (for personal reasons) and that's been discussed at length with each employer and I have yet to have difficulty as either a basic or medic getting a job. Something to think about.

JPINFV

Gadfly
^

I would avoid pulling an ADA card for this. Is it really reasonable to force a provider's partner to driver every hour of every shift provided that all units are already double driver?

TccEMT

Forum Crew Member
You could always call in advance of submitting your application and beginning the process to see what their hiring policy on suspensions is without anything being released. Just call and say "I was wondering what your hiring policy was for those that have medical suspensions on their driver's license". That way you have an answer anonymously whether you would be considered or not. If they would consider you, then don't even mention it.

I would not count on that working. Chances are the app will still ask and he'll have to mention it on the app if it's a question.

I also agree that using the ADA is a bad idea. Mainly because what happens if one day for some reason he has to go on an ALS run?

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
I would not count on that working. Chances are the app will still ask and he'll have to mention it on the app if it's a question.

I also agree that using the ADA is a bad idea. Mainly because what happens if one day for some reason he has to go on an ALS run?

What part of "that question is illegal" do you not understand? They CANNOT by law ask if you have any disabilities which would prevent you from doing the job with or without reasonable accomodation !!! Now asking whether you have ever had your license suspended IS within their right of asking and almost every application I've ever filled out has asked that. I would suggest leaving the above question as blank. I WOULD put on the application if it asks for the explanation of things - a tactful way of stating is "will explain and provide documentation in interview". That way you are answering honestly, but also showing there is an explanation longer than the two or three lines there permit. Now asking AFTER the job offer is extended then you can request reasonable accomodation - OR show that reasonable accomodation can be provided. Unless it places an undue burden on the dept then they can deny it. However, they must show that it will be an undue burden. An example of that might be if they staff every truck ALS with a medic and a basic and not a dedicated BLS truck. Then it would cause an undue burden as he couldn't perform the essential job function - driving for his medic partner. Something like that would be.

However, requesting that someone else drive the entire shift is NOT an undue burden - here's why. If he operated on a dedicated ALS unit, he would have to drive all the time (as would any other basic) for their medic partner. IF there is a dedicated BLS unit, then it is perfectly acceptable to have the partner drive. The vast majority of EMT's don't desire to do solely pt care and I admit it will limit his employment choices (primarily to transfer companies) but if he looks around he should do okay finding a job. Some places frankly won't care and he can ride his time out in a crappier service until he gets through the five year point when it will likely drop off anyway (except for the rare service that goes back 7 years). Either way he is well within his rights to exercise ADA and while you may sit back and say I wouldn't want him to because it's inconvenient and you personally may not want to hire him - it is his legal right to do so and I did want him to know that was an option. Now the mental issue may require some documentation to show that it is no longer an issue, but either way, if it is resolved, they cannot prevent him from employment.

TccEMT

Forum Crew Member
Wow, looks like I got you fired up:rolleyes:

For the record I'm not sure what you thought when I ment when I said t"he app will ask" that got "What part of "that question is illegal" do you not understand?" because I was talking about the suspension and that's not an illegal question.

Also did I tell him that ADA wasn't his right? No, I said I would not pull that card. FWIW, he going to have a hard time finding anyone to hire him anyway cause he's not 21, which leaves with just about nothing in AZ.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
2 things.

1 on a Medic/Basic Truck, the Basic does not always drive. When applicable (as in not loaded with patient), most services I know will switch off between the Basic and Medic driving.

2 One could argue that it is an undue burden. I for one would not want to work with a partner if I had to drive all the time. I'm and EMT, not and ambulance driver. I would probably complain about it and start looking for a new job. Don't get me wrong, there are people on the other side of the coin too, who would love driving all the time, but a company can still argue that it is an undue burden. Also, if their job description involves driving the rig, then the law you are thinking of does not apply. Since his disability is directly affecting his ability to carry out his duties (he can't perform the duty of driving the rig due to the past history). The resonable accomidations is for discharging the duties, not not having to do them in the first place.

For example, if he had a hearing aid in his right ear such that his radio's earpiece could not work in it, and the department only had earpieces designed for right ears, it owuld be a resonable accomidation to purchase a left ear earpiece which is avaliable for roughly the same price in order for him to discharge his duty of "responds to radio dispatches"

I have nothing against the OP, but I hate to break it to you, it's gonna be touch to get hired when you have a spot on your record like that. Especially in these times when jobs are scarce, as an employer, I would rather take others with similar or even less experience over someone who had a driving suspension.

EmtSeattle1

Forum Ride Along
First of all - you are extremely brave for putting this out here on a public forum. I'm glad to see you've gotten positive responses.

As far as your history - some places are very strict about suspensions - it is entirely dependent on the insurer of the ambulance service as that is what ultimately determines it. Now, all that being said, here's how I would handle it - I would simply state that the suspension occurred as a result of a medical issue that has since resolved (no need to volunteer more than neccessary, but assure them that it is okay now) and that you have safely driven for the last two years. Often times a suspension just shows as a suspension and doesn't specify whether it's due to a failure to appear, excessive tickets, reckless driving, medical reasons, DUI, etc. There are many reasons that a license can be suspended, and sometimes it's dependent on the type of suspension you receive, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, considering your license was suspended due to a medical issue (and a mental health one on that) I would definitely have your doctor write a letter supporting that you can safely work in the EMS environment (as without a doubt they will have some concerns) and also that you can drive in a safe manner. That way, if questions are brought up during the interview afterwards, then you can have that to support things. Technically, they cannot deny you employment based on disability be it prior or current, but they can request evidence that you have a statement proving you are able to work without concern. (I wouldn't volunteer the mental health info though unless required - just say health issue as technically it's illegal to ask on a form whether you have a disability to require accomodation or not).

However, another thing to consider - driving is NOT mandantory for all services ! They try to make it be, but it really isn't. If they operate a BLS truck or multiple, ask for that to be a reasonable accomodation to not drive (still falls under the auspices of disability and accomodation). Would require you to disclose more info than you care to, but if you would have been hired otherwise then something to consider. Many services won't fire those with a DUI and they are kept from driving an emergency vehicle for a year in this state, and I've chosen to not drive an emergency vehicle (for personal reasons) and that's been discussed at length with each employer and I have yet to have difficulty as either a basic or medic getting a job. Something to think about.
This was a really well thought out answer to her question. Thank you for posting this. I was hired on at a private ambulance company in Seattle then told I wasn’t insurable because I had a suspension (civil suit) on my record. I talked to a firefighter paramedic and he told me all private ambulance companies here are like that. I’ve been hopeless. But you gave me a little more motivation to keep trying. Thank you!!