Surprise, Surprise...EMS actually puts the public more at risk than it actually saves lives

Did this change your perception of EMS?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • This reaffirmed my perception

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
It took me up until just recently to realize how meaningless EMS is (for the most part).

WE ACTUALLY PUT MORE LIVES AT RISK MORE THAN WE SAVE THEM!

Considering that most of our calls are not immediate, life threatening emergencies, we put more lives at stake getting to the patient than we actually benefit the patient (and the public).

Driving lights and sirens poses a risk, no matter how many safety measures you implement. We can control how we respond to the scene, but we cannot always control the actions of the drivers around us. Cars veering into lanes of opposing traffic, cars pulling into intersections where they can get hit, cars slamming on their brakes right in front of us...overall the public not knowing how to respond to an approaching emergency vehicle. In addition, there is always the rare, unexpected occasion. Still, nonetheless, there is always somewhat of a risk driving emergency traffic. We can minimize the risks, but we cannot completely eliminate all risks.

And to make matters worse, we arrive on scene to attend to one patient who likely is not experiencing an immediate, life-threat. And we just put lives at risk to get there. o_O

Just think...if our patient dies, will it ultimately kill other people? No. But an ambulance collision CAN kill more people. Pretty much you take a life (or lives) to save a life, thus you defeat your purpose.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" ...remember that.

Unfortunately, that is the false image that EMS portrays.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I hope someone shows this...boy....to the door!

I am appalled at your post and I have nothing but horrible things to say to you so I will respectfully let someone else who may be a bit for graceful handle this.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Didn't you just get done having this nearly exact conversation?...

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
I hope someone shows this...boy....to the door!

I am appalled at your post and I have nothing but horrible things to say to you so I will respectfully let someone else who may be a bit for graceful handle this.

I care about my patients...I REALLY do. But realize we must weigh our risks and realize putting multiple lives at risk for one person defeats its purpose.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
An inflammatory statement without evidence to back it up is meaningless. If your thesis is something comparative like "we put more lives at risk than we save" you need to provide some kind of basis beyond vague opinions. Your entire other thread had some good discussions about the merits of emergent response and safe driving, so what is the purpose of this new thread?

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
After looking back at his posts,

Let's partake in some math equations.

Each person equals the value of 1.

While responding lights and sirens to a patient (1) complaining of abdominal pain, Medic 147 coasts along Fox Drive, a two lane back road with no shoulder. Medic 147 is traveling 10 MPH over the posted speed limit, as permissible by law while running lights and sirens. While approaching a minivan with a total of (4) passengers, including children, the driver of the minivan crosses the double solid lines into the opposing lane of traffic to allow the ambulance to pass. Out of nowhere, a tractor trailer comes barreling down the road and collides with the minivan, killing all occupants (4) in the minivan. Turns out, the patient complaining of abdominal pain ate some spicy food hours prior and had temporary gastrointensinal discomfort, but overall was fine.

So here comes the equation:

1 abd pain patient - 4 victims in the minivan = -3

You were a contributor to 4 deaths while responding to an "emergency", even if it was not your fault. Congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
An inflammatory statement without evidence to back it up is meaningless. If your thesis is something comparative like "we put more lives at risk than we save" you need to provide some kind of basis beyond vague opinions. Your entire other thread had some good discussions about the merits of emergent response and safe driving, so what is the purpose of this new thread?

Driving lights and sirens is a risk, no matter how much you minimize those risks. There is always that very small chance you can contribute to an accident along the way. Like I said, you can MINIMIZE the risks, but you can't completely ELIMINATE the risk. Still, a risk is a risk.

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
Your ignorance is insulting to the men and women of EMS.

Listen, I work in EMS too. I am just bringing forth some valid points that I have observed myself.

See, we portray a certain image to the public. The public sees us as heroes and part of the public safety realm of work. Don't get me wrong, many of the EMT's and medics I have worked with have done a fabulous job.

But if the public knew we were putting more lives at risk than actually saving lives just by driving to the scene, wouldn't there be a change of perspective there? Would we therefore be portraying our profession falsely among society?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
This thread has been locked as I clean it up. Refrain from personal attacks and keep the conversation on topic, or the thread will remain locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.