Superstitions?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My first day of work I got in the ambulance and asked how busy the shift usually was. I've never seen a crew get so pissed off. My last partner hit me when I said the shift was "quiet."

Some crews have little mascots, stuffed animals, or other things they keep up front for good luck.

It seems that this job is one full of superstitions. Am I right on this one? (I'm afriad to ask my partners :) )

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
OH YEAH :D , there are a lot of superstions in this field.

I would have to say that the "Q" word tops the list. I've known people that refuse to eat during their shift, because they were afraid they would get a call about three bites into their dinner. Same thing goes for cleanig out the back of the ambulance (they just assumed their next patient would vomit or have a giant Code Brown).

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Yeah, the "Q" words a big faux pas, especially if its your crew getting ready to go on duty for the weekend. Conversely, saying you hope it's a busy shift is a sure way to save gas in the rigs. The Run Gods are a fickle bunch.

We have a few who refuse to shower when they have the ambo...one FF not too long ago got toned out 3 seperate times during 3 seperate shower attempts the same day.

sunshine1026

Forum Crew Member
I'll agree that the Q-word is a biggie, as is washing and/or waxing vehicles. Just get them all nice, clean and shiny, and sure as anything you'll get a call that involves large amounts of mud/grass/snow/salt or something equally messy!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’m a big believer in the “hot food curse”. Every time I sit down for hot food...

“Beep beep beep”

(Winner for this week’s necro-post!)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
If the patient has that “I’m going to code as soon as you load me in the helicopter” look i always toss an Epi or Atropine on the stretcher to ward off evil spirits. If you have it ready you never need it but if you don’t they always code.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I used to tell people that it was bad luck to leave without the right amount of saline the cabinet. It was really just a way to make sure my partner was checking supplies, though.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I’m a big believer in the “hot food curse”. Every time I sit down for hot food...

“Beep beep beep”

Not a superstition...a nice little Mexican restaurant stopped serving us because of that...just ignored us when we walked in.

(Winner for this week’s necro-post!)

Not a superstition...a nice little Mexican restaurant stopped serving us because of that...just ignored us when we walked in.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I also found if you haven’t run a certain type of call in a while, it’s best to never utter it aloud.

“Boy, we haven’t run a CHFer in a while. I haven’t used CPAP in ages...”

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

“Medic 7 respond to difficulty breathing...”

Never fails.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief