1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions to replace vacuum splints?

Discussion in 'BLS Discussion' started by FiremanMike, Dec 1, 2016.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike EMS Coordinator

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    I'm sure I'm not the only department where vacuum splints seem to develop legs/wings and fly away once they hit the doors to the ER. They are expensive to replace, even the "disposable" versions, and I'm looking for ideas for something different to replace vacuum splints entirely.

Thanks ahead of time for your ideas!

2. EpiEMS

EpiEMS Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    Why not switch to SAM splints or cardboard box splints? Vacuum splints are certainly easier to use (and may be better, given the consistent method of application, possible increased comfort, etc.), but I am unaware of any evidence base in favor of vacuum splints over standard splints.

Good training on splinting goes a long way.

akflightmedic likes this.
  3. akflightmedic

akflightmedic Forum Deputy Chief

SAM all day long....cheap, easy to use and adapt to any situation, compact, cost effective. Getcha sum...

4. EpiEMS

Education:
    EMT
    Plus, if you pad well, they are pretty comfy!

5. akflightmedic

And if you bill for your services...you can easily recover the costs and then some.

FYI, if you are officially tasked with finding a new product, contact your sales rep and inform then you want samples to trial before making the switch. If you do not have a rep, contact the company and tell them you are in charge of a departmental switch and are considering their product and again you want samples...they will gladly give you a dozen or so to trial. All about the future sales! (Which for you will be cheaper than vacuum splints)

6. FiremanMike

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    We actually do have sam splints already so that has the advantage of being a familiar product. I might float the idea out there and see what kind of response I get.

Thanks for the ideas!

7. akflightmedic

If you already have SAM, then stop using the vacuum! Simple fix all day long!

FiremanMike likes this.
  8. Summit

Summit Critical Crap

OP may be talking about full body vacuum splints used in lieu of long boards, where they are clearly superior in terms of complications and patient comfort. They are also VERY expensive to lose and highly desirable to "walk off."

OP bill for them and if one is used there needs to be a chain of custody up to and including signing them over to the ED staff or notifying your shift supervisor to come retrieve it.

9. FiremanMike

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    No, we have the full body splint also but barely use them, I was talking about the extremity vacuum splints..

10. EpiEMS

Education:
    EMT
    Have you considered items like the FracPack? I prefer the customization offered by SAM splints and equivalents, but if you are concerned about consistency of application, etc., FracPack splints work nicely, and look to be cheaper than many vacuum splints.

11. phideux

phideux Forum Captain

Education:
    Paramedic
    We use the cardboards, cheap and effective.

12. FiremanMike

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    We had one of those in service for awhile, it never got used..

NomadicMedic likes this.
  13. EpiEMS

Education:
    EMT
    I don't particularly care for them either -- my service stocks them and some of the folks who are...not exactly great at splinting or don't want to take the time to do it properly like them.

14. DrParasite

DrParasite The fire extinguisher is not just for show

I loved using the fracPack, especially for lower extremity injuries

15. EpiEMS

Education:
    EMT
    I don't like them as much as making my own splints, but there is certainly room for their use. I just find that if I make my own splint (SAM splint + padding), I can be a bit more sensitive to the patient's unique anatomy.

16. DesertMedic66

DesertMedic66 Forum Troll

Education:
    Paramedic
    I would absolutely love if we carried SAM splints however all we have is cardboard so that is what I am stuck with